Buick Riviera 1996 air damper door?

I have this car and I'm having problems with the air damper door. I have taken the two panels off from under the dash but I still can't find a way to change the damper to another position or where any of the controls or motors are that run the damper. I have searched the groups and can't find any information for my particular problem. I took it to a Buick dealer only to be told the repair would start at $475 and go up from there in labor as taking the dash apart was a bigger job.

I just want to be able to change from floor to mid if possible for the rest of the summer and then put it back to floor come fall/winter.

Thanks for any help, Rich

Reply to
Yepp

I dont know if my comments will help you or not. We just had the same sort of problem with a 1998 LeSabre dual control.

The problem turned out to be that the divertors were stuck. We managed to access them from under the dash, and I believe that we took out the glove box to make things easier to see.

In our case, a little penetrating oil down the shafts which pivot the divertor doors helped to loosen them up. We checked the vacuum module, and it seemed to be working okay, but had not been able to manage the job of activating the doors before they were freed up.

That vacuum module is expensive..in the four hundred buck range... if you find it is nonfunctioning. You might be able to find a good one at a junkyard IF you find that this is a problem..

I know of no really easy way to make this job more pleasant. For me, just about every job under a dash is unpleasant.

Reply to
hls