'69 Chevy Impala starter

I am replacing the starter on my '69 Chevy Impala, and I am having trouble finding out where one of the wires needs to connect to. I have already connected the hot wire, but there is another wire that looks like it has been burnt. I don't know what it connects to. Any ideas?

Reply to
Jayme

There should be two small wires and one large wire. The large wire goes directly to the battery. (Battery cable.) There may be a smaller wire with a large lug that goes with the battery cable on the large threaded stud. The two small wires are the signal from the ignition switch to the solenoid to start the car, (Start wire)and the other is the ignition resistor bypass. I think it's a purple wire?? Bet you can find a diagram on the web. The start wire goes to the right of the two large studs if you're facing the solenoid. (Small terminal closest to the block with the starter installed.) That terminal should have an 'S' on it. The ignition bypass is marked "I" I'm thinking the start wire is red, but I really can't remember.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

The other wire is a coil booster, the play was, during running, the coil gets approx 8 volts, a resistance wire lowers the voltage for long point life, during cranking, the booster kicks in, supplying full 12 vt to coil. You could omit the booster. The start wire, thick red, goes to R terminal R = relay The coil booster goes to B terminal B = battery furthest away from block, as I remember

Reply to
451CTDS

It's also called the ballast resistor bypass.

Erik

Reply to
Erik