85 GMC starting problem and brakes question

I picked up a 1985 GMC C1500 305 engine 77xxx miles on it. It has a bit of a starting problem. If the truck sits more than 10 hours it takes a while to start. The longer it sits the longer it takes to start. It start cranks the engine fine. When it does start it runs great. I am guess that the fuel is draining out of the bowl somehow. I can not smell and fuel in the engine compartment. Is it possible for it to drain back to the tank? How might I start with this? The engine sometime desils on when I shut it off ( once a week maybe) .

Onto the brakes. It has been pulling to the drivers side when brakes are applied. So the first thing to go after would be the passenger side caliper. The sticker in the glove box say that it has a "1J55" power brake system. The stores around town never heard of it. Service manual says I should be a JB3, JB5, Jb6, or JB7. Ends up the calipers match up to the 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive version. After putting on the caliper, bleeding the system. I check it out and the problem is still there, but not as bad. Well after carefully paying atention I fine that as the brakes are first applied it pulls to the driver side. As I continue to brake it stops pulling. Then as I start to release the brak it pulls back to the passenger side, but not as strongly. One person told me that the brake hose on the passenger side must have develped a flap in it and restricts the movment of the brake fluid. Sounds like its possible. The hose has no sign of were on the outside, and might be a pain to get at the connection to the hard line. Its on the engine side of the frame rail, with 20 years of dirt and dust. Should I go after the hose or might it be something else?

Thanks everyone, David DeWitt

Reply to
David DeWitt

Shep

What does the check valve look like on the filter?

Thanks

Reply to
David DeWitt

Reply to
Shep

Good probability you have pinpointed the problem. You wrote 'One person told me that the brake hose on the passenger side must have develped a flap in it and restricts the movment of the brake fluid'. He's correct. I've seen that problem several times with no external signs. The hose's interior can peel & develop a flap, and can act as a valve, keeping pressure on one caliper. Others can act as an obstruction and cause havoc. Actually the 1st I saw was in 1980 and on a 1979 Olds with 8900 miles on it. The hole in the crimped metal end had never been drilled at the factory. $14 later and no more diving to the right with brakes applied--perfect brakes. Your vehicle is ~20 years old; might be a good idea to replace BOTH flex lines. Would be cheap maintenance and just probably will straighten out your brakes. s

Reply to
sdlomi2