car rolls backwards in Drive

In Drive, my 2001 Impala (40K) rolls backwards when going uphill, if not stepping on gas or brake. Is this normal? It happens even on very slight upslope. The car could move backwards quite a bit when I release brake and step on gas after a red light, scaring the driver following me. Does this indicate the transmission goes wrong? Thanks!

Reply to
Simon

That's normal. They did away with the anti-rollback thing back in 1965.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Are you saying that it rolls back even after you press on the gas and it takes a while to start moving forward?

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

No. It just rolls back in the second between I move foot from brake to gas. As soon as I press on the gas, the car goes.

I used a few cars before this Impala, none had this "problem" (none was GM car).

Thanks all for the replies.

Reply to
Simon

This is normal if the hill is steep enough. A low idle speed would make it worse.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

It's normal.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Yep, normal. My 2001 Impala does the same thing. Disconcerting until you get used to it.

-= Larry A

Reply to
Larry A.