91 Buick Lesabre -defrost/heater not working properly!!

Can anyone give me some advise on my problem. Just recently in the last few days, my defrost/heater will be blowing hot air then all of a sudden it will start blowing cold air, then it will go back to blowing hot air and vise-versa.. It?s driving me mad. Thanks

Reply to
SSmith

probably a vacuum leak. Check to see if the hose connecting to the vacuum tank on the firewall came off. On my car the vac tank is to the left of the washer pump. The hose connects on the bottom . There may even be a plastic valve connected to the hose like on mine.

You might also have a bad vacuum diaphram or loose hose under the dashboard. That would require removing the lower black dash trim panels and listening for a loud SSSSSSssss noise.

Good Luck

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~299, 999 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

I was thinking the coolant might be low and the lines are getting air locked. Does it only go cold when you are at idle, and at highway speeds it's fine?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Sounds like your engine is out of coolant. Better check it before it blows up.

Reply to
« Paul »

As far as checking the vacuum tank and hose, I might suggest you take the tank off and reseal it with some silicone sealer, My same car although it had heat would not blow air from the correct vents. It seems the tank was leaking from the seams. Took me forever to find that one. Good Luck JRE

Reply to
Mastermech