92 Pontiac Trans Sport Front Wheel Bearing

I have a 1992 Pontiac Trans Sport (clone of the Lumina/Silhouette minivan) minivan which I believe has a bad front wheel bearing. It "grumbles" with forward motion and you can feel the sound, too. Now I've looked at the procedure to replace the bearings, but there is one special tool called for that I was wondering if it is required. The GM number is J34754 inner drive joint seal protector (modified). I can't find it to rent, and this is most likely the last wheel bearing change this van will see in its life.

Also, has anybody done this procedure before, is there anything to watch out for? Looks pretty straightforward, and only requires a puller and Torx bits other than the above mentioned seal protector.

Reply to
Brent McNabb