Harbor Freight Front Wheel Bearing Remover

Hi

Anyone use the Harbor Freight Front Wheel bearing remover on a A1, I have a

1984 GTi Rabbit

If so is the kit complete as is? Am thinking I will need bolts to screw into the hub to pry it off.

Thanks

Reply to
Tube Audio

Hi, I recently did a front wheel bearing on an '85 Golf. I posted what I learned here (see the last few posts)

In terms of the kit being complete, yes the Harbour Freight kit will take out the outer half of the bearing just fine and press in the new one just fine. Read my previous post about when pressing in the new bearing that you support the back of the inner bearing race. I forgot to account for the c-clip and was pressing on the c-clip instead of the inner bearing race. Also see my comment about picking up a suitably sized circlip plier. The c-clip is pretty hefty.

For taking off the hub, I searched for a wheel hub adapter in western Canada but couldn't find one, so I ended up buying a slide hammer. It worked well though I would have preferred an adapter. Others have used long wheel bolts to slowly push the hub off. I couldn't get the inner race off the hub and ended up buying a new hub.

Good luck. PS .search the web, there are lots of step by step instructions and videos on the job.

-Tony

Reply to
Tony49122

It will pull the wheel bearing out of the carrier and push the new one in. It will even push the hub in.

Since yours does not have ABS then some long bolts should remove the hub. A heavy good slide hammer should work too.

only problem is that usually the inner race stays on the hub and it can be cut off or pressed off with another tool. I use this tool

I have a shop press too.You would have to support this tool and knock the hub through.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Hi Dave, Do you think this tool would be sufficient to pull the inner bearing race off the hub by hand? I don't have a press nor room for one.

With the cold chisel, I budged the race, then the chisel bottomed out and I had no more wedge against the race. Others mentioned prying with screw divers resting on wheel bolts threaded in the hub, but that didn't budge the race at all.

thanks, -Tony

Reply to
Tony49122

That tool set looks smaller than what I use but if it can grab that race and the puller has something to push against like some large washer/plate over the hole in the hub, then this set might work for you. The larger bearing clamp/puller will allow you to support the clamp on some jackstands and then tap the hub out of the race with a socket and hammer.

I used to cut a groove in the race with my muffler cut-off tool (Dremel would work too) and then use a hammer and chisel to knock the race off.

Some people just buy a new hub and then they don't have to worry about getting that race off or dealing with a worn/rusted hub. :-)

good luck!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1