94 Chevy Lumina Sedan, Turn Signal Flasher Location and Turn Signal Issue

Hi, A Google, Yahoo, and Bing search did not provide a clear location of the turn signal flasher in my 94 Chevy Lumina 4 door sedan.

The owner's manual shows the location of "hazard" (4 way) flasher on a "Component Center" panel, but nothing regarding the turn signal flasher. I found out that some Chevy's use two flashers, one is "hazard" and another is turn signal.

PROBLEM:

The right turn signal does NOT flash, but both front and rear lights stay on "steady". Note: Left turn signal flashes.

However, the "hazard" (4 way) flashes both sides of front and back lights. This is a way to tell if a burned out bulb is the cause, but not in this case.

I suspect a "weak" flasher. The total current from the driver side bulbs (front & rear) may be higher than the passenger side. A heating element inside the flasher doesn't get hot enough to open the contacts for a right turn signal "flash", is my theory.

Is there such a thing as a "weak" flasher that affects one side?

Also, does anyone know where it is located since I could not find it?

Thank You in advance, John

Reply to
jaugustine

Flasher is in a clip on the side of the steering column behind the under dash trim panel BUT it's probably not the problem. More likely is a failing multi-function switch.

The hazards will work as a bulb test but they feed power after the switch so a bad switch can show as only one side working

Reply to
Steve W.

Hi Steve,

UPDATE:

Last night, when it was very dark, I went to the Lumina, used the 4 way (hazard) flasher so I could see if one side is not as bright as the other side. Then I noticed in the rear that the left side had two bulbs flashing, but the right side, only one bulb was flashing. I did not know there are two bulbs in each fixture for brake/turn signal!!

I bought new bulbs and will replace the bad one later today. That should fix the problem.

Thanks for the flasher location, etc.

John

Reply to
jaugustine