'95 Golf GL -- OBD II ScanGauge?

My new-to-me '95 Golf GL seems to have an OBD II port. I was thinking of getting a ScanGauge* for it. Does anyone know if the ScanGauge is fully functional with these early OBD II VW's?

thanks, Tobin

Tobin Fricke

I doubt it. You might need the ross-tech.com vag-com tool

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

My father owns a '95 jetta but it's obd I. You can read it with rosstech's vagcom.

SFC

"Tobin Fricke" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@apocalypse.OCF.Berkeley.EDU...

Reply to
sfc

Since you're saying you have a Canadian model, you may have to check if it has OBD I or OBD II in it. See the other posts for info on what to do in each case.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

How can I tell? It has the fat "OBD II"-style connector, not the old

4-pin thing. However, the Bentley manual seems to imply that 1995 cars had the new connector but were still OBD I (if that even makes sense). It refers to two versions of the Motronic system. Is there a way to check what it is?

thanks, Tobin

Reply to
Tobin Fricke

If you have two O2 sensors, you have an OBD II. If you only have one O2 sensor in front of the CAT, you have an OBD I. I think OBD IIs started in

1996. I also have a 1994 with the OBD II style connector.
Reply to
Peter Parker

I have a late production '95 Jetta GLS, and it's got the $%@# OBD I in OBD II's clothing as well. AFAIK, OBD II started on the '96 US models.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

If your are handy with electronics then build (or buy) a simple opto interface and use the free vag-com software to read it.

SFC

"Tobin Fricke" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
sfc

Where can we find "free" vag-com software?

You can buy a $17 cheapie clone of a ross-tech.com adapter and then activate their software (@ $99) once you try their limited-featured trial software to make sure that the clone works.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Well if you just want to check some fault codes and don't care for all the fancy stuff then the old 311.2 is enough. More info here:

and here:
SFC

"dave AKA vwdoc1" schreef in bericht news:fjMrj.8448$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com...

Reply to
sfc

My 1995 USA GTI VR6 is OBD I and has the bigger OBD connector (not the

4 pin one). My car can do "blink codes". If you jumper pins in the OBD connector in the correct way (for the correct amount of time) you can read the codes from blinks of the check engine light (or another light?). The Bentley manual tells how to do this, or perhaps you can google it (or look in one of the applicable enthusiast web sites). My car even had a special little tool (under the rear seat) to do the jumpering for you.

Frank

fjMrj.8448$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com...

.
Reply to