96 2.2l sio alternator/battery

My voltmeter on the dash usually stays around 13 -14. The last few days sometimes it drops down to 10 when idle then back to normal when accelerating with a squeal noise that comes and goes. I looked at the belt and all things are turning OK, in fact my a/c compressor comes on fine and shuts off fine. This morning I checked my battery cold and it was at 10 volts so I am changing it. I am concerned about the low voltage on the dash voltmeter//squealing sound.

Reply to
hands on

You are right to be concerned. The squeal could mean that the belt is slipping under load because it is wet with oil or water, worn or poorly tensioned. When an alternator goes under heavy load, it becomes much more resistive to turning, and belts are more likely to slip.

In any case, I think you need to pull the alternator out of there and have it checked.

If your belt is cracked or burnished when you replace the alternator, I would certainly replace the belt.

Reply to
HLS

I cleaned the battery connections and reconnected. When I started up the voltage was 10-12 on the dash and it would go up to 14 if I rev the engine. I checked the voltage at the battery and it was only 12 with the engine running. Are Advance auto parts lifetime warranty alternators OK??

Reply to
hands on

I replaced the alternator and using the old battery.The battery is charging fine and my dash voltmeter has returned to normal+ the squeal went away. I put a long screwdriver on the alternator when the engine was running and put my ear on the end of the handle. The front sounded OK but the back sounded like marbles on the old one. PS-make sure you stay clear of the fan if you try this! Thanks-

Reply to
hands on

I dont know about Advance. Some of the cheaper Autozone are not recommended, but the more expensive ones may be okay.

Some variants of GM alternators are not worth a damn from the beginning. I speak of the ECS 1** series of high amperage, small size alternators.

Glad you got to the nuts and volts of it

Reply to
HLS