96 GRAND AM SE WONT START!!

My g/f has a 96 Grand AM SE with a 2.4 and 137,000 mi. and it won't start. She had the starter and altenator replaced last year. The battery was drained, took it to AutoZone and the batter was bad. They replaced it for free because it was still under warranty. Still wouldn't start. I replaced the coils this past weekend along with the plugs and the battery was drained again. I jumped it, and all it does it cranks. I didn't replace the "coil housing" or whatever its called, could this be the problem? I'm not sure if it has a timing belt or chain, could that be the problem? She needs her car by the middle of April because she's leaving town to visit her mother who is having surgery and I can't take her. Help please with any suggestions. Thanks.

Reply to
harberjohn

First, you need to isolate what is really happening here. Guessing, and throwing parts at it, is a losing strategy.

You indicate it will crank over but will not fire. But, it seems the battery is still draining. Does it drain because you are cranking it, or because there is a basic problem here?? Charge it up, clean battery cables and make sure all connections and grounds are tight and electrically making good connection. Make sure there is no parasitic drain on the battery, like a trunk or glove light that isnt turning off, etc.

You need to see if you are getting ignition voltage. Take off one of the spark plug cables and attach it to an old spark plug, and lay the spark plug on a grounded surface under the hood. Have gf crank again while you watch. Do you have spark? If not, you must find out why. Typicals causes include bad ignition module, bad coil, bad wires, bad crankshaft sensor, etc.

Now, with the battery having full charge, get yourself a can of starting fluid. Don't putz around with gasoline. Have your gf help you. You read the instructions, and spray the fluid into the intake while she cranks. IF it tries to start, you likely have a fuel delivery problem. It could be a bad fuel pump, a plugged fuel filter, water in the tank, or other.

The last thing you need to check is compression. IF the belt or chain has failed, then the engine will not start. But check it before you start trying to replace a belt.

Let us know what you find, step by step.

Reply to
<HLS

Thanks for your help!! I got it started this weekend. I first checked all the fuses....AOK, checked for any interior lights left on...AOK, checked the cruise control, wiper switch, radio etc....AOK. Checked for spark, no spark!! Already changed the coils and battery....checked the timing chain...AOK. Altenator new last year. Checked the ignition.....gotcha!! It turned out the harness that plugs into the ignition, on the bottom of the steering wheel, had burned and exposed wires. There's my short. Fixed the problem, and still wouldn't start. Went to the junk yard and pulled an ignition modulator off of a Sunfire...replaced it...and she started right up!! Thanks again for your help.

Reply to
harberjohn