97 Blazer 112k miles - durability?

I've had this 1997 S-10 Blazer purchased new. It now has 112,000 miles on it. Things done/ replaced, beyond routine maintenance, and oil change every 3-4,000 miles: Alternator 40k Water Pump 56k A/C compressor 80k Transmission 80k Wiper ctrl module 80k

Tires were replaced at 68k. The Michelins on there now still have good tread life.

This vehicle is 2 door, 2wd, 4.7 Vortex V6, cloth interior, manual windows, A/C, AM/FM Cassette, cruise. In other words mid- level trim and accessories.

Debating to keep going or get rid of it. As you can see from the replaced items, there have been some issues. The transmission was setting a "slip" code, and the dealer replaced it under the extended warranty. I figure that'll go at least another 80k.

Will need tires and brakes soon. Dexcool should be replaced soon, hopefully the cooling system/ radiator won't need replacing despite it running Dexcool.

Conments on longevity on like vehicles? So far it's held up well, body whise. No rattles, etc. Interior is in good shape, moderate wear well within the years/ miles at this point.

Driving is mixed City/Hwy, say 65% city.

Reply to
mearle

Alternator - Given it's a GM, that doesn't surprise me, but they generally tend to lasta little longer than that.

Water pump - If I remember correctly, the 4.3's cooling system was quite sensitive (more so than other engines) to issues with Dexcool caused by air being introduced into the cooling system due to low coolant levels or a leak. If you haven't already, have the dealer power-flush the system and add new Dexcool immediately. Make sure the overflow reservoir always has the proper coolant level. Never let it run dry. Don't mix Dexcool and other coolants. Some might suggest switching to the "green stuff". My opinion is to continue to use what the manufacturer suggested. Despite some people's misfortune, I don't see anything wrong with Dexcool as long as it's maintained properly and not contaminated by other incompatible coolants.

A/C compressor - 80K isn't too bad depending on climate, usage, and the specific failure that occured. I can understand maybe a shaft seal leaking, but major failure shouldn't have occured.

Transmission - The 4L60-E transmission is a pretty good tranny. The slip could be caused by a neglected fluid/filter change or debris causing a solenoid to stick. Doesn't sound like a major failture, although the labor is what adds up there. And of course it goes without saying that failure could also be due to bad driving habits, misuse, or abuse. But you wouldn't do that, now would you?

Wiper control module - Hmmm. Sounds like you just had bad luck at 80K. It's a good thing you're past that evil number now.

Tires - You didn't get 68K out of the original tires, did you?

Squeaks/rattles - Now THERE is an anomoly. You should have all kinds of squeaks and rattles by now. Consider yourself very fortunate or very hard of hearing. You must have driven on glass-smooth pavement over the last 112K miles.

Overall, I'd say those repairs aren't bad for a vehicle of it's age and mileage. I'd keep it myself. It's certainly cheaper than buying a new one at this point.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Maxwell

Haha, thats my rule of thumb, when a car's repair bill adds up to more then what you were paying every month till you had it paid off, get rid of it!

Reply to
Paradox

Reply to
Mike Atkins

My 96 Jimmy has 96,000 repairs so far. Water Pump Both front wheel hubs. Alternator Key Switch cable Wiper switch is going out now Window motor Parking brake wont latch

Daughters 96 Jimmy with 88,000 miles Both front wheel hubs. Alternator Wiper switch is going out now Parking brake wont latch

Reply to
Tim or Linda

Never knew they made 2WD Blazers. What is it that goes on the front hubs? I have a '91 (bought used, though no mention of front wheel hubs having been replaced by previous owner) and haven't had any problems with them. Had an alternator seize up, and a few squeaks in the tailgate (I'm sure caused by the externally mounted spare tire) and that's about it. Mine has ~130k. Still see a zillion of them of similar vintage on the road.

Reply to
Bobby The D

Reply to
Tim or Linda