Alternator on 1996 Olds 98

I'm driving out to my grandparents tommorow to replace an alternator for them, as the local repair shop wanted $350 to replace it including the drivebelt. My grandfather seems to think the alternator is underneath, but I have owned vehicles with series 1, and series 2 3800 engine's and the alternator has always been right up on top. I grabbed the haynes guide from the local library and it also says nothing about any models being underneath and having to remove engine mounts. Can anyone tell me if it truly is below, or up on top as what I've seen.

Reply to
xyzzyman

It's pretty straight forward, nothing special. The unit retails for ~$250US from the dealer, and 1/2 hour to replace. Not sure what the labour rate is in your area, or whether or not the $350 you quoted is US or CDN.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

That was US dollars. I replaced the alternator on my 1989 Olds 88 which had a series i 3800, and I have done oil changes on her car and I would have probably noticed if the alternator was in a different location. I don't have the time, or trust my ability to be messing with engine mounts and other bars. She lives out in the country, so god knows what the guy is trying to charge her. We live in upstate new york.

Reply to
xyzzyman

That was US dollars. I replaced the alternator on my 1989 Olds 88 which had a series i 3800, and I have done oil changes on her car and I would have probably noticed if the alternator was in a different location. I don't have the time, or trust my ability to be messing with engine mounts and other bars. She lives out in the country, so god knows what the guy is trying to charge her. We live in upstate new york.

Reply to
xyzzyman

Reply to
Shep

Thanks for both your responses. I can sleep better tonight knowing (I mean it, I won't be up all night worrying about what I might encounter).

I'm in Rome, she's in Blossvale/Taberg.

Also, the > Where in upstate NY, me too. Reman lifetime NAPA alt. is about 230, as Steve

Reply to
xyzzyman

Ya, it's either a 124 or 140. If you knew ahead of time you could check out the RPO codes (label is located "on deck lid, on spare tire cover, underbody or on jack storage container"). If it has the code "KG9" listed, then it's the 140 amp.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie