Another "vent"

AC compressor on my FIL's GMC Sonoma pickup (2.2 litre) started making noise a few weeks ago. Still cools.

I thought I might be lucky, and it would just be a compressor clutch.

Not so..The compressor has an internal problem, and would (in a normal world) need to be replaced.

Quoted cost is about $1000. The compressor is easily half that amount. I feel, once again, that GM is manipulating the situation such that any fool that buys one of these pieces of crap gets stung.

There is no reason that such a rare and exotic compressor need be used in this truck. Dont talk economy, as this gutless little 2.2 litre POS doesnt get more than about

17 mpg on its best days.

We just wont repair this one.

Reply to
HLS

When the A/C comp in my '97 K3500 failed (leaked at the body joints actually), I checked at the dealer and they said about $600. I just had them suck out the tiny amount of remaining freon, and then I replaced the compressor with a $200 reman. along with replacing the orifice, and accum/drier myself. I brought it back to the dealer for for something sub $100 they vacc'd and refilled the system. That was several years ago and it's still working fine.

I also checked a bit online and found that was a common failure since for some stupid reason they didn't use dowel pins in the assembly of the compressor sections, and an uneven mounting torques the body and the twist causes the seals to fail. Knowing this I was careful to check and shim when mounting the new compressor so it wouldn't get twisted.

Reply to
Pete C.

This particular compressor is a bit different from the normal GM unit, I guess. I have found them in the junkyards for about $200. From ackits.com, I can get a new unit for $485. Heaven only knows what the GM dealership would charge for it.....probably substantially higher than the $485 figure.

I see no reason that they put such a gold plated unit on these little "economy" pickups. The vehicle has only about 30,000 miles on it, but is - as GM loves to engineer - outside warranty.

We can use it as is, and if we ever want to fix it, I will investigate other possibilities.

GM really has a long history of screwing over their customers.

Reply to
HLS