Attention Ian--01 impala steering noise

Hi Ian. I was wondering if Service # 03-02-32-049 (10-29-2003) release of new outer tie rod ends would solve a knock like sound I am experiencing when turning right and then immediately left. I took my car to the dealership for the noise and they were able to duplicate the problem but all they did was re-torque the steering gear mounting bolts and lubed the right side lower control arm bolts and bushings. This didn't eliminate the noise. It just made the car feel tighter and there is less noise when going over bumps on the road. Previously, this car had the engine cradle replaced and this greatly reduced some of the front end noise but overall this vehicle seems to be prone to rattles and noise. Oh, and it has had the intermediate steering shaft lubed and the noise for that is more like a clunk and not a knock like sound. I would really appreciate any input you may have. Vince

Reply to
vince markarian

"vince markarian" wrote

I had not seen that bulletin. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I doubt that this will help any kind of "knocking" noise. Probably this fix was released because of all the outer tie rod premature wear that we see. I'll have to talk to the front end guys and see if they are aware of the bulletin. I suspect that the new part is already in the parts bin, but I'm not sure if they know about the knuckle modification.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Thank you for your quick reply. Any news from the front end guys regarding the noise that I am experiencing? I will try another chevrolet dealership and maybe they have a tech that has experienced this problem before and knows what to do. Vince

Reply to
vince markarian

"vince markarian" wrote

experiencing?

I talked to one of the front end guys, and he is aware of the change-up tie rod ends. He doesn't think that this will cause your noise. There are so many noises coming from these stupid Impala's with the aluminum subframe that it's hard to really give you any more direction. Sounds as though you've already had everything done that we know about.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Thank you for remembering my question. I wish I had purchased a vehicle with a steel subframe like the Regal or the Grand Prix. Do you know if the "new" Grand Prix has noise issues since it too has the aluminum subframe? Vince

Reply to
vince markarian

"vince markarian" wrote

We don't work on the Pontiac line, so we see very few of the Grand Prix's in the shop. I suspect that each year, GM will make some improvements to the aluminum subframe. Eventually, it will probably be just fine. Small comfort for the customers dealing with the noise issues.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai