steering column noise

I hear a very slight rattle in the steering column on my 2002 Tahoe when on uneven road surfaces. At first I thought maybe a steering component was bad
but its hard to reproduce. It has 24K miles and I just bought it. I also have an expedition that doesnt do this. I must say the tahoe is more refined than the ford but I like them both for different reasons. Anyhow, is this steering column noise a known issue? KH
"KH" wrote

on
bad
refined
Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in the Steering Wheel (Lubricate Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly) #00-02-35-003C - (10/20/2003) Clunking Noise Under Hood and can be felt in the Steering Wheel (Lubricate Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly) 2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV
1999-2004 Chevrolet Silverado
2000-2004 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche
1999-2004 GMC Sierra
2000-2004 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
2003-2004 HUMMER H2
With Recirculating Ball-Type Steering
This bulletin is being revised to add additional procedures and time for vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals and to add additional models and years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003B (Section 02 -- Steering).
Condition Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.
Correction
Important DO NOT REPLACE THE FOLLOWING INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFT P/Ns:
a.. 26085548 b.. 26049343 c.. 26083324 d.. 26088325 e.. 15772436 f.. 26078079
Remove the intermediate shaft from the vehicle and lubricate the intermediate shaft with a Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Lubrication Kit, P/N 26098419.
Ian
Perfect, thanks. KH

this
hood
This message is in the MIME format and contains attachments. --NNR=_3592669707 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-2 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Some more detail on steering clunk. (pdf attachment) I've the same problem, haven't tried fix yet, so don't know if it will cure it.
Bob
KH wrote:

--NNR=_3592669707--
Theres no pdf attachment here. (that is probably good). feel free to send it to me by email. just remove the word spam from my return address. KH

when
was
also
(Lubricate
(Lubricate
for
models
(Section
more
Lubrication
Re: steering column noise Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Tue, Feb 3, 2004, 4:40pm (CST-2) From: kevin snipped-for-privacy@yahoospam.com (KevininSanDiego) Theres no pdf attachment here. (that is probably good). feel free to send it to me by email. just remove the word spam from my return address. KH
"KH" wrote I hear a very slight rattle in the steering column on my 2002 Tahoe when on uneven road surfaces. At first I thought maybe a steering component was bad but its hard to reproduce. It has 24K miles and I just bought it. I also have an expedition that doesnt do this. I must say the tahoe is more refined than the ford but I like them both for different reasons. Anyhow, is this steering column noise a known issue? Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in the Steering Wheel (Lubricate Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly) #00-02-35-003C - (10/20/2003) Clunking Noise Under Hood and can be felt in the Steering Wheel (Lubricate Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly) 2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT 2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV 1999-2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2000-2004 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe 2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1999-2004 GMC Sierra 2000-2004 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL 2003-2004 HUMMER H2 With Recirculating Ball-Type Steering This bulletin is being revised to add additional procedures and time for vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals and to add additional models and years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003B (Section 02 -- Steering). Condition Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces. Correction Important DO NOT REPLACE THE FOLLOWING INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFT P/Ns: a.. 26085548 b.. 26049343 c.. 26083324 d.. 26088325 e.. 15772436 f.. 26078079 Remove the intermediate shaft from the vehicle and lubricate the intermediate shaft with a Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Lubrication Kit, P/N 26098419. Ian
The grease works if do it right...If you follow the directions in the package you should be ok....But you need to make sure the grease get all the way down into the shaft...Or the noise will be back soon.. Steve C
Its still under factory warranty so Ill let them worry over it. Thanks though. KH