Battery warning light, 95 Park Ave

On our 95 Park Ave the Battery Warning Light (beside the voltage gauge) sometimes comes on and stays on for a while after start up. This is a fairly recent development (during the last year) and is happening more often and staying on longer. This morning I put a DVM on the cigar lighter socket and it looks good. Holds at about 13.85 DC, and AC well below 0.5 volts. But, this was not when the light was on, as it chose to behave properly.

The Pep Boys 84 month battery is about 2 years old.

Any idea what might be wrong?

TIA

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Ed, 1st clean your battery terminals. You can determine the battery's condition by having it tested with a battery-tester that puts a load on the batt. With battery fully charged, have it tested free--A-Zone, Advance A-P, Pep-Boys(?), local shop. If this passes, check alternator. Probably more likely to repeat the light-staying-on when 1st started each AM, so be sure to plug in your voltmeter just before starting, so as to 'see' what the alternator is outputting at the time of malfunction. IMO, sounds more like alternator beginning to go. Its output can be checked with the same type load-tester, but if its regulated output is correct when tested, ..... HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Thanks for the response.

I have cleaned the terminals, and the cables look good. I'll get the battery checked ASAP.

You're right about it happening most often on first startup of the day, but alas not the day I attacked with my DVM. Is it safe to assume that if the battery checks out and the cables are good it has to be an intermittant alternator?

Thanks again. I really appreciate the help I get here.

Ed

Reply to
Ed