Blower

Blower runs on full speed even without keys in the ignition.The only way to stop it is to remove the fuse. Any idea what's wrong ? Is it blower control module fault?

Thanks Chuck

Oldsmobile Intrigue 1999

Reply to
Jans

Sounds like the blower motor resistor pack is shorted out.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

A long long time ago, I had a Fiero that suddenly started running the blower even when the key was off. I had the schematic on this car, and saw that a shorted diode in the alternator could cause this. And that is exactly what it was.

Dont know anything about your wiring, but suggest you look at the schematic and do some testing rather than just to start throwing parts at it.

Reply to
<HLS

My number one beef is "throwing parts at it."

I made my post after reviewing the wiring diagram and also knowing that the original resistor pack in these vehicles is of substandard design. There are other

Reply to
Steve Mackie

That was embarassing, let me finish....

My number one beef is "throwing parts at it."

I made my post after reviewing the wiring diagram and also knowing that the original resistor pack in these vehicles is of substandard design. There are other possibilities, however, by studying the wiring diagram and the internal wiring of the resistor pack, I am willing to safely say, with 99% percent assurance that the relay that controls the "HI" of the blower motor has stuck or shorted.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Chuck,

You did not say if you have the MANUAL HVAC system or the AUTOMATIC.

If MANUAL, I agree with Mr. Mackie as to the cause of your problem. If AUTOMATIC then the solid state blower speed control module is likely to blame.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Thanks everybody.

Today I was just moving and pulling wires and connections around blower motor , and when I replaced fuse everiting was fine. After few minutes however the blower started to run by itself again. For few weeks before the problem accured I could hear noise of blower fan hitting samething inside when was running on low speed. Of course it maybe samething not ralated.

Without blower I can not use the car at all ( snow , ice )

Thanks Chuck Oldsmobile Intrigue 1999 3.8 Manual HVAC

Reply to
Jans

Resistor pack is right behind the blower motor under the right I/P.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Either the auto climate control module is shot or the high-speed relay is sticky/stuck.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul