Bonneville fiasco

I have a 2001 Bonneville with less than 24K actual miles. The rack and pinion assembly has been replaced 3 times. Now it is showing signs of failing again (ratcheting and clicking when turning). The last one we waited a month for because it was supposedly on national back order and GM was redesigning it and we were to get the newest design. What the hell is going on. I have no guarantee replacing it again that it will last. I truely feel ripped off by Pontiac and the dealer has made a mint over this. Should I just dump it and move on to another brand? I've been a Pontiac owner for decades but this has really soured me on ever owning a GM product again.

Peeved in Chillicothe

Reply to
Paul

Who has been paying for the repairs? You or GM? When was the rack last replaced, and what is the warranty on it? Call your Pontiac dealer, and if you don't get satisfaction, call GM. Bitching about it here won't help you at all.

Reply to
80 Knight

Has anyone found the real problem? The rack and pinion assembly does not go bad at all on most cars so to have four go bad in 24,000 miles leads me to believe this is some other cause that the shop does not see. To go an average of 6000 miles, and to do is repeatedly, I'd be doing some extensive checking. Well, not me, but a good mechanic. If you smash your face into the back door every day and break your glasses, do you replace them every day or do you stop smashing into the door? I think your problem is cause by some other malady.

Have a sit down with the dealer and a factory rep and calmly explain the absurdity of having the part replaced so many times. Insist that some other checking be done and ask for some monetary consideration. If they want to keep you as a customer, they will sort out the problem. If they don't want to help, dump the car as it will happen again. Then, when you get your new car, drive into the lot of the dealer with it, wave to the dealer and drive off with a feeling of satisfaction, the ultimate F you! I was a loyal Buick customer for many years until they pissed me off. I pass the dealer every day and honk and wave any time I see Ron the salesman out in the lot. Childish, but fun.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

A little Google searching says you are not alone:

"Repairs are both expensive and numerous, particularly a steering rack problem. "

"The Steering rack had to be replaced at 44,000 miles and GM offerd insignificant assistance. There is a TSB on the steering shaft, but only if you know it is there will they do the service."

"The steering is bad, let me say again, bad. We have had the rack replaced 3 times and are ready to go for number 4. GM is stonewalling bigtime as to be expected. I have done some research on this and I am not the only one with this problem."

Are you ready to join the Never Again Club yet? No annual dues :).

Reply to
John Horner