Buick Century 2000 brake question

This car was purchased new, is seldom driven and has 8500 miles on it. My wife drives it, I rarely do. When braking I noticed the pedal almost goes to the floor. It does stop the car and if I press hard the pedal slowly goes down. In the "old days" I would refer to this as a soft pedal. No indicator lights appear on the dash and the fluid reservoir is full. With the engine off the pedal acts normal (hard pedal) in that it only moves a slight amount and when rolling the car with engine off the braking is normal. I tried hard braking from 50 MPH, which appeared normal the brakes did not lock up or the tires squeal. I felt no pulsing from the ABS. I drive a 98 Chevy Cavalier and the brakes do not function this way, the pedal only moves a slight distance. Is this normal or does it have something to do with the ABS? I'm concerned about the old gal (my wife) so I told her not to drive it until I check it out. Thanks,

-- Homer Remove, no me

Reply to
Homer Pigeon

Buick Century 2000 brake question Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sun, Oct 26, 2003, 7:54pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@meatt.net (Homer=A0Pigeon) This car was purchased new, is seldom driven and has 8500 miles on it. My wife drives it, I rarely do. When braking I noticed the pedal almost goes to the floor. It does stop the car and if I press hard the pedal slowly goes down. In the "old days" I would refer to this as a soft pedal. No indicator lights appear on the dash and the fluid reservoir is full. With the engine off the pedal acts normal (hard pedal) in that it only moves a slight amount and when rolling the car with engine off the braking is normal. I tried hard braking from 50 MPH, which appeared normal the brakes did not lock up or the tires squeal. I felt no pulsing from the ABS. I drive a 98 Chevy Cavalier and the brakes do not function this way, the pedal only moves a slight distance. Is this normal or does it have something to do with the ABS? I'm concerned about the old gal (my wife) so I told her not to drive it until I check it out. Thanks,

Reply to
Steve Cook

Buick Century 2000 brake question

Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sun, Oct 26, 2003, 7:54pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@meatt.net (Homer Pigeon)

When was the last time you checked you pads? You could have low pads,air in the system or both........If you have no leaks ...Start there...Most of the time when ABS problems accure you'll have the light come on..Or you will feel it kicking in and pulsing when braking normal .....So the soft peddle..Should be low pads or air or both........If your pads check out ok front and back....Bleed the system...Keep it like it is and they may go out.... hope i was of some help SteveC

Thanks for your help Steve. My son the mechanic who unfortunately lives in another state said he thought it could be that an ABS module is being bypassed (whatever that is) or possibly it needed bleeding. The car is 3 years old but with 8500 miles it's hard for me (old garage mechanic) to believe the pads would be bad or that it had air in the system. (?) I'm too old to jack up and crawl around under a car anymore but I like to have some knowledge before taking it to the dealer. I plan on a test drive of a new Buick today and my son said he would be here for Thanksgiving so hopefully he will look into it. I agree with you that it's best checked out before they fail! BTW the reservoir is full and never needed any fluid. Homer

Reply to
Homer Pigeon

I would think air in the system...... Or maybe someone mixed brake fluid types, and its outgassed. (I've actually seen this happen once)

Reply to
Tony

Its unlikey the ABS mod is being bypassed any fault in the abs system will set off your light and set a code.....Possibly could be your booster...One question when you press on the brake do you hear what sounds like air when your pressing the peddle in? If so your booster is out....and needs replaced... Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

Yes Steve C, I do hear a hiss or squish sound each time the pedal is pressed. I talked to the dealer service department and they said Buick is known for its soft pedal! I will definitely go to the dealer today and have them check it while I test drive a new Buick. I will post back my findings Thanks a bunch. Homer

Reply to
Debbie

Oops, used my wife's account i.e. Debbie. I just returned from visiting the service department at two Buick dealers. Both said there is nothing wrong with the brakes. So I guess they are OK. Thanks for all the suggestions. Homer

Reply to
Homer Pigeon