Buick Roadmaster Engine Repair

I have a 1996 Buick Roadmaster that looks good and is mechanically sound except for one problem. The large pully on the front of the engine that connects to the crank came off. I bought a new pully but the end of the crank was slightly worn and the pully will not stay on. It has no keyway and just 1 bolt holds it on. I have been told I will have to replace the crank or get a new engine? Is this true. Or is there another fix?

Reply to
Puckett

Shep

I wouldn't bother with a new engine, but you will have to at least replace the crankshaft. If the engine is in good shape, and you have someone do the work that is competent, you should end up with a good repair job.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

A lot depends on how far the end of the crank sticks out and how bad it's worn. I'm assuming you put the new balancer on and it came back off??

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Once I had that problem and drilled 6mm holes and tapped them and bolted it on that way in addition to the center bolt. I kept my eye on it and nothing ever wenr wrong.

Reply to
Al Bundy

do you really think a certified mechanic will ever do this? and then guarantee it? methinks NOPE! sometimes home cures can't be done. ...thehick

Reply to
frank-in-toronto

Frank, I didn't say he should go to a certified mechanic to repair it. I would be appaled to hear of one that would do that type of work and it wouldn't be cheap anyway as it takes time. I merely mentioned what I did successfully on a friend's car. Some of us don't have the bucks to run to a mechanic every time something breaks. However, we still need our vehicles so we are driven to find some frugal way of getting back on the road. Such repairs are done all over the world where certified mechanics nor replacement parts are available.

Reply to
Al Bundy