Peugeot 406 HDi 90

I wonder if anyone could help me. I have had many older indirect Peugeot diesel engine cars, but this is my first encounter with the HDi version. On hard throttle the engine seems to make a pronounced loud ticking (almost like a tappet noise) sound until around 3100 rpm, and then it noticably vanishes very quickly at that point. The engine has covered about 81k, recently serviced, pulls well(turbo boost works), doesn't smoke or use oil and returns between 45-51mpg. If the engine is put on only light throttle then the noise doesn't seem to be present - any ideas?

Reply to
muffindell

Very carefully check the crank pulley / damper, securing bolt and fixing.

These should be changed at every cambelt change as they break up (the two sections come apart) and also they are known to come loose on the crank, which if not caught in time will knacker the keyway rendering the crank (and effectively the engine) a large and expensive lump of scrap.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Sounds like the characteristic 'suppressed' diesel knock sound you get on these direct injection engines, it's how they're supposed to sound- the ticking/clicking noise comes on under load/acceleration and fades away to nothing under minimal load/throttle. On older engines it would sound different, but newer engines suppress the noise and it sounds like a random, rapid clicking sound, like a petrol pinking. Is this the sound you mean?

The Vauxhall and Ford TDCi engines do it, I can't recall the 406 HDI sound but as they're a similar engine to the TDCi I guess it'd be no different.

Morse

Reply to
Morse

As Morse says, that sounds normal. But to be sure, you might want to have a ride in another.

Reply to
DervMan

But check the crankshaft auxiliary drive belt pulley too as Tim said, as thase do make that sort of noise when they are going. However, you should also hear that noise when revving the engine on your driveway, with the window open.

Reply to
Brian

The ticking/tappet sound is actually quite loud on load until 3100rpm when it just vanishes, I'm sure it's not normal. I'm having the cam belt, tensioners and the all important bottom pulley changed today. I will report if this cures the fault, otherwise it's back to the drawing board, but at least the cam belt area can be ruled out :o) Mat

DervMan wrote:

Reply to
muffindell

Well just got the car back from having the cam belt area sorted, guess what......... the noise is still there grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! My mate has the same engined car, no noise like mine :o( So, can anyone else offer some advice, pointers, support or ear muffs?

Mat

Reply to
muffindell