Burned Bulb Sockets on GMC Pickup

I own a 2000 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton pickup. Recently I had to replace a burned-out light bulb. It was one of the Daytime Running Lights which is contained in a housing below the headlights housing. When I unscrewed the bulb holder from the housing I noticed that the area of the bulb holder close to the bulb base was brown - the rest of the bulb holder was white. It appears to me the discolouration is due to heat from the bulb - it certainly appears to be burned. I was able to replace the bulb without any problem and the light again works. The bulb holder on the other side of the truck is also burned the same way.

Is this discolouration due to the heat normal, or does it suggest that something is wrong such as voltage may be too high causing a heat buildup. Since these are Daytime Running Lights, they are constantly on during daylight hours so they get a lot of use.

Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

Clark

Reply to
Clark Martin

I know a guy at the office that had a 2000 Silverado (now has a 2004 Silverado) and has replaced the DRL lamps a few times. I'll check with him tomorrow and if no one else has a response here by then will post what he tells me.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Checked with a buddy of mine at the office that used to own a 2000 Silverado. He said that he changed the DRL bulbs twice (that he remembers) and had never noticed burned or charred looking sockets. He hasn't had to change the ones in his 2004 Silverado yet.

Then I checked with another buddy of mine that has a 2001 GMC Tahoe. He has changed his DRL bulbs once and also says he doesn't remember observing what you describe.

Curious, is this your 1st bulb change? I would think that if the bulbs were being over-driven by too high of voltage, they would have failed long ago. If you've changed them once before, maybe they were the wrong wattage (higher than design) and generating too much heat?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

James, thanks for your input. I think I may have changed one or both bulbs in the past but can't remember for sure. Your idea about wrong bulb, wattage too high, is worth looking into. I'll check into this. Thanks again.

Clark

Reply to
Clark Martin

Just a thought. I know J.C. Whitney sells over-wattage headlamp bulbs, etc. and often cause overheating of the lamp assemblies for those people that use them (not to mention they're illegal anyway). Good luck!

| > Checked with a buddy of mine at the office that used to own a 2000 | Silverado. | > He said that he changed the DRL bulbs twice (that he remembers) and had | never | > noticed burned or charred looking sockets. He hasn't had to change the | ones in | > his 2004 Silverado yet. | >

| > Then I checked with another buddy of mine that has a 2001 GMC Tahoe. He | has | > changed his DRL bulbs once and also says he doesn't remember observing | what you | > describe. | >

| > Curious, is this your 1st bulb change? I would think that if the bulbs | were | > being over-driven by too high of voltage, they would have failed long ago. | If | > you've changed them once before, maybe they were the wrong wattage (higher | than | > design) and generating too much heat? | >

| |

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Reply to
BRYAN MAXWELL

I wonder if some were made with lamp holder sockets in a dark color instead if white. If they were already a dark color (brown or black) then the darkening wouldn't be as evident. Hmmm, curious question.

| > Is this discolouration due to the heat normal, or does it suggest that | > something is wrong such as voltage may be too high causing a heat buildup. | > Since these are Daytime Running Lights, they are constantly on during | > daylight hours so they get a lot of use. | >

| > Any thoughts on this would be welcome. | >

| > Clark | >

| |

Reply to
James C. Reeves