Cars Are Better Now Than They Ever Were!

well, I'm still driving an '83 Malibu with the original driveline, untouched engine and transmission. It has cost almost nothing in actual repairs. I wonder what it would cost to keep a new car running for the next 20 years. Power and acceleration don't interest me in the least. I just want to drive cheap. And by the way I only had one break down needing a tow in all that time.

Reply to
Al Bundy

difference.

The original post was about "old" cars (50s and 60s) not the "new" ones of the 80s!!

We used to hear the same thing back then. "They don't build them like they used to" and I would say "Thank God". Those from the 30s and 40s would be wore out when they got to 50K miles.

Reply to
ABC

And that really sucks with new cars and the whole integrated "audio entertainment systems" in them now. Imagine if 8 track decks and cassette decks were as integrated...

Reply to
Ray

What's funny is my buddy and I are both computer techs... but his hot rod Nova is about as traditional as you can go. Holley 650 on an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, the infamous "mild" cam (I dunno the specs) and a Mallory HEI and MSD (6 AL?.) No fuel injection or computers here. It's kind of satisfying setting the timing by ear and then checking with a light and seeing I can do about 10 degrees BTDC by feel now...

:)

Reply to
Ray

I'm anything but a computer tech myself. I appreciate the original engines, but I also like the gas mileage I get with the Corvette running gear. I used to have an old Pontiac LeMans with a nice Chevy 350 in it with the Holley carb and mild cam. It was definately a runner, but she was a thirsty girl.

Reply to
J Grant