Chevy Astro or GMC Safari?

Hello,

this might not be easy to answer but still I was looking at two cars a chevy astro and a gmc safari now i don't know which one to buy. Has either one of them factory problems and how about part prices, service and average lifetime.

I appreciate any thought thanks Christian

Reply to
Chris

the only difference is cosmetics.

Reply to
Baboo

They're one and the same, just have different names on them. They come off the same assembly line.

****************************************** I would rather be exposed to the inconveninces attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~
Reply to
Rich B

Same vehicle. Both have some of the worst Consumer Reports reliability records you will see. The one a friend of mine owns has had more trouble in it's 60k miles of life than a car should have.

Also, the engine intrusion into the passenger side foot area makes it very uncomfortable for long drives.

There are many better minivans on the road.

John

Reply to
John Horner

And yet I have owned a 1986, and a 1989 Astro and put over 230,000 miles on both of them. They were the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. And no rust.

Reply to
John

The Astro & Safari are the only TRUE mini-vans on the market! My Astro has survived 285K miles in a construction work enviroment. Try that with the Camry with a box on it socalled mini-vans!

Reply to
Ricky Gregory

I've got a '94 Astro with 239,000 miles on it. It's a daily driver, used on a newspaper route during the week, and as often as not, it's halfway across the country on the weekends going to dog shows, field trial and the like. I've had to replace the normal "expendables" -- water pump, alternator, and a/c compressor, but as far as major work is concerned the only thing was a tranny rebuild at the 200k mark.

It's reliable! Mark Sparge

- The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

Reply to
Mark Sparge

My uncle has a 2000 Safari and a few years ago we were upnorth for deer hunting, the trip up there wasn't a problem. The next day the rest of the people at the house were going to go shopping and take the van. They tried firing it up, no go. My uncle came back and tried (he's a GM certified mechanic and a damn good one at that) wouldn't start. It ended up being towed to a dealership and it was there for ~1 week after we went back (it's around a 180 mile trip). I think it was something with the fuel injectors.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid