Code 44 4.3 gmc safari

Some days I love this truck and some days I wud................ Anyways when I am towing my small camper about 2000 lbs loaded and trying to do the long haul up hills with ac on driving semi nice a little ruff I guess...the check engine light has been comming on and I go thru a shit load of fuel like 300 km's per tank. The van gets rated 20-21 mpg when I am not towing ( crappy but that is what it is rated at) it is more like 8-10 when I am towing. And lo and behold the code I get (44 Oxygen sensor voltage was under

0.25 volts for up to 4 1/2 minutes of closed loop operation.) is for the one sensor I allready replaced. What would cause this reading? Could timming or just crap gas give this reading? What is that reading? Rich or lean? My guess is rich ie no or low oxeygen Carbon the cat con is now by passed as it was burned out anyways like the guts were gone straight pipe?
Reply to
no one that you know

Q) Why in the hell would we need to know the model year?

A) Because 4.3 liter engines in GMC Safari vans came as;

1) Carbureted 2) Throttle body fuel injection 3) Central Port Fuel Injected 4) Central Sequential Port Fuel Injected
Reply to
aarcuda69062

Could also be that the sensor wire has an intermittent/bad connection OR is to close to something hot and the insulation is melted/damaged and it shorted out for a bit.

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
no one that you know

Reply to
no one that you know

Reply to
no one that you know

Under the conditions that set the code, your engine is under fueling (running lean). Possible causes are a weak fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, clogged injectors, skewed MAP sensor, skewed coolant sensor.

Doubt that it's a vacuum leak since it only occurs at or near wide open throttle.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Reply to
no one that you know

Reply to
no one that you know

Yup. Swapnostics. (those test procedures are -so- boring)

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Look again at the advice you've been given (left intact below). Start at the beginning of the list of suggestions and work your way sequentially through it. Don't jump to the conclusion that it must be sensors. Sensors do not fail at high frequency. Typically when they report a problem they are reporting the problem correctly. Look at the problems suggested.

Have your fuel delivery pressure checked by a mechanic. Then work through the possible causes based on what that check reveals.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Please - follow the advice you have been given. You can easily get yourself all twisted up researching the hell out of things and drawing conclusions based on not too much. You may well have more than one problem in your vehicle, but if you don't conduct a methodical series of tests and/or replacements, you're only going to cause yourself more problems. You might even get lucky and actually fix one problem (even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes), and you'll not even know what really fixed it because you've been shotgunning all around your vehicle in a helter-skelter manner. Or... you may introduce more problems.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
no one that you know

Reply to
no one that you know

I wasn't speaking about what you had done already, but what you were doing as a going forward strategy.

Reply to
Mike Marlow