Console shifter button won't depress

Having some trouble, it was intermittent, now it's consistant.

1995 Monte Carlo, 3.4L DOHC, 4T60-E

Shifter button won't depress to shift from park. If I squeeze REALLY hard, it releases. Then it works fine until the car hasn't been used for a while. I'm thumbing through the factory service manual, there isn't any good description of the PARK/LOCK Shift Cable and mechanism. Before I go routing around under the hood, does anyone have a good description on how the PARK/LOCK mechanism works? And maybe why mine is sticking. Bad solenoid of somesort? Lack of lubrication?

Steve Mackie

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Just found some info on ALLData. BTSI solenoid.... anyway.... ALLData says it's under the console, factory manual says it's on the transmission. WTF? Brakes lights work, shifter doesn't. Must be binding. I'll check it out.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

There is a brake interlock as well which requires that the brake be depressed. Could be something wrong in that mechanism as well.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

There used to be a C clip holding the shifter knobs on to the shift shaft. Try removing the shift knob, then use your thumb to press down on the plunger inside the shift shaft going into the console. If you can shift it to get it out of park alright, then the button on the shift knob might be the problem. See if the button is removable from the knob.

Last car I had with a floor shift the button on the shift knob had two plastic prongs - kind of V - shaped that pressed against the inside of the opening in the side of the shift knob..

Good Luck -

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~299, 677 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

About a month ago I had the same thoughts. The plunger won't go.

Reply to
Steve Mackie