Crossthreaded

I got a new screw in sensor that fits in the top of the engine block. When I unscrewed the old one I found the previous "mechanic" (no it wasn't me) had put the old one in crossthreaded. Now when I try to put the new one in, the threads lock up and I've started to strip the threads on the new one. I was fortunate to get the old one back in to plug the coolant from leaking (I hope it doesn't let go on me). Where do I go from here, besides to a garage. Is there a way to straighten up the threads in the engine block? The new sensor is brass. The engine block is iron or cast iron. anybody?

Reply to
erness.wild

Take the car to a shop and get a heli coil put in. Pretty cheap.

Reply to
80 Knight

You might be able to get a tap of the same thread pitch and chase out the threads. If there too far gone, its heli coil time.

bob

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Reply to
bob urz

News==----

#1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

thanks, I found a good garage and they're going to retap it. fingers crossed.

Reply to
erness.wild