Curb weight of a 2004 Malibu Classic?

Hi all.

Hopefully someone can help. Today I took a look at the sticker on the driver's door of my '04 Chevy (Malibu) Classic. To my great surprise, it lists the vehicle's gross weight at 1775 kilograms or 3,912 pounds!

Can this possibly be right? Edmunds.com lists the Classic's weight as

3,106 lbs., based on the 'regular' 2003 Malibu, of which the Classic is nearly a clone.

The only real difference in the '04 Classic as opposed to the '03 Malibu is that the Malibu only had a V-6 while the Classic has the Ecotec 4-cylinder. That should make the Classic lighter, if anything. In fact the NHTSA site lists the Classic at 3,054 lbs. on the page showing its crash test results.

The car sure does not feel or handle that heavy. Am I missing something obvious here? Is that maybe the car's maximum acceptable weight with a full load of cargo and passengers?

If there's any truth to the higher-than-expected weight of this buggy, it might explain the disappointing fuel economy I've gotten with it. Gas mileage is my only real gripe with this car, but it's a serious one. It's gotten a bit better since I took off the snow tires and put the original Eagle GAs back on, plus the switch to summer-blend gas....but I've still not hit 30 mpg, let alone the EPA sticker 34 mpg on the highway.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I"m shaking my head.....

Thanks and Regards, Eric M

Reply to
Eric

The weight listed on the door is Gross Vehicle Weight. That's the weight of the vehicle + passengers and cargo.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Thanks. That makes sense. It also means the vehicle should weig about

2,995 lbs. empty, since the maximum load is listed at 917 lbs.....ERM
Reply to
Eric

I think that number (2,995lbs) would be the dry weight while the "curb weight" is the weight of the car full of fluids. Not sure though.

Best thing anyone can do is fill their car with gas, empty the trunk and go find a scale.

Here we go, just found this:

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

This is very interesting. Thanks for posting it....ERM

Reply to
Eric

Weight - I don't know. However, I have rented at least 12 Malibu Classics in the last 3 years. I usually put on from 800 to 2500 miles. My average mpg has always been from

19-26 mpg. 4 cyl or 6 cyl does not seem to make any difference in mpg.
Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Thanks, but I think the other responses clarify the weight issue.

Your mpg is about the same as I got with my 4-cylinder Classic during the winter, with snow tires and winter-blend gas. It's slightly better now with the Eagle GAs back on and summer-blend gas, but I've yet to hit 30 mpg and have given up all hope of ever seeing 34 mpg, even on a flat highway trip with the cruise control at 55 mph and a strong tail wind.

Fuel economy is the one big gripe I've got about my Classic after slightly more than 6 months of mostly excellent service.

So, you have rented V-6 Malibu Classics? I keep hearing they're out there, but have yet to see one. It's a picky point, but are you sure you did not get a "regular" '02-'03 Malibu that a fleet agency picked up?

It's exactly the same car, apart from the engine and the tires. (215/60 vs. 205/65; I like the narrower, higher tires for winter traction and ride quality; of course you give up a hair in handling and cornering. If I worried about those things I would not drive a Malibu.)

If these damn cars were just a few bucks cheaper and/or got close to advertised mpg readings, the Classic would be the best car bargain out there....(also side air bags would be nice)

Regards, Eric M

Reply to
Eric

The sticker refers to vehicle gross weight - that is, the weight of the vehicle TOGETHER WITH allowable payload.

Reply to
Rob

Reply to
Kevin Smith

Good point. Except for the Maxx, the rental cars don't say Malibu at all. They have Classic emblems but no Malibu emblems. Great cars though. I'm actually considering buying one in the near future. If I replace the intake manifold gasket on the 3.5 every 30k miles it should be ok.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul