Thinking/analyzing too much

Problem: Chevy Blazer S-10 Tahoe, AC when engaged puts out cold air for about ten minutes. Then, quits putting out cold air. Took it down to the local garage. They wanted to evacuate the system. They suspected blockage in the freon line someplace. Suggested the low pressure switch was defective. Their explanations made sense to me. But, I hesitated. Have a home use freon kit used last on my VW. Bought a can of R-134. Turned on the AC to MAX, and hooked up the kit without opening the can of freon. A 30 second cycle of high of 47 psi to 28 psi was noted. When 28 psi was noted, could hear the compressor kick in. So, opened the can of freon. It took about a half a can. Max psi is now around 53 and low 31. Am not hearing the compressor kick in at the low end of the spectrum. The AC doesn't quit putting out cold air now. Don't know the mechanical or electronics behind this, but hope this helps someone.

Reply to
Jonny

When the compressor is running the pressure at the low port should read about 40. When the compressor shuts off the system will neutralize and the reading will go up. The important reading is the reading with the compressor running. Your local mechanic doesn't know what he is doing, find a competent one....

Reply to
Woody

Another point, that apparently went over some readers heads, is that while AC is in MAX position, the compressor should not be cycling on and off.

Reply to
Jonny

What other readers? You are wrong, by the way.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

It shouldn't? You need to join the Mike Hunter club and read up on how A/C works on this vehicle.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

That is incorrect. You may want to read up on A/C before you destroy yours.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul