DEFROSTER

I ran into an odd problem with my 2002 Buick Century.

Driving on the interstate. Temperature in the teens. I'm not sure if it was road-splash, or a fine rain/sleet, But I couldn't keep the windshield from icing up. Plenty of heat. The heater/defrost slot felt like it was connected to hell.

Using the washers would clear it up, but then the windshield would ice up again. I was reduced to peering through a small "hole" near the botttom.

I've never run into this problem with a warmed-up car. The defroster was certainly putting out enough heat.... The only other variable is the highway dept is using some sort of new liquid on the roads instead of salt......

????

Reply to
Anonymous

I would suggest there is nothing wrong with you HVAC system. What you are seeing is the alcohol is evaporating faster from the glass, than the water. You simply need to purchase a deicer with a greater percentage of alcohol. The range available on the market is as low as 10% in the cheap stuff, up to 50% in the deicer types. In our fleet service business we buy alcohol and mix deicer to suit current conditions

"" wrote:

mike hunt

"" wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

Use an ice scraper.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

== But slow down to at least 55 whilst yer hangin' out that window ;-) Actually, there is ice melting windshield washer on the market--Never tried it, though. ==

Reply to
Gini

Use the stuff we use up in Can. good for -50f cost about

2.00$ a gallon.

Jim.J

Reply to
Jim.J

It probably was freezing rain. Several coworkers here in Michigan ran into the same problem this week with several different cars. Cure was basically full defrost, fan high, and open a window so you can survive the heat.

I have used the deicing washer fluids for several years and they do seem to help, especially before you have heat.

Reply to
WhyDoYouAsk

RJ,

I agree with the other responses. When the temp is in the teens or below, add a washer solvent that has a higher alcohol content. I live in the Great Lakes region, and I can tell you that this is normal.

There have been many times that I was tooling up the highway, it's hot inside the car, but the windshield view starts getting smaller, and smaller, until I slow down on a city street. The ice starts freezing at the top of the windshield, and your "window of view", gets smaller and smaller. You almost have to slump down into your seat, to get a good view. At this point, you have the heat so far up, that you need to take your jacket off, and have a t-shirt on, but the windshield is still frozen.

GMdude

Reply to
GMdude

Several people I know had this problem this go-round...including yours truly. Problem is that here in the Mid-Atlantic region it was misting/raining outside at 14 degrees!!!...a very very unusual dynamic. Between the 14 degree temperature and highway speed wind creating additional evaporational cooling, the exterior surface of the windshield could not be maintained above 32 degrees. Thus, the mist would freeze on contact even with the 150 degree interior air being blown on the window.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Thanks so much for the reassurance. The "freezing mist" sounds like the weather I was driving through.

It was a puzzler though..... The last car I had that couldn't stay ahead of windshield ice was a '60 Triumph TR-3. ( and they only had "pretend" heaters )

Reply to
Anonymous

It was definitely unusual. I'd never seen it rain at that cold of a temperature before this week! Probably well beyond design conditions of the defroster too.

Reply to
James C. Reeves