DEX-COOL, Conventional Green, & G-05... My Experiences

I was serious that you needed to get a life. I don't have a sister but I hear your mom's ass is as wide as a 20 gallon fish tank and the back of her neck looks like a pack of hotdogs.

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

"Buford T. Justice"

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Look at the thread I created; "G-05 Coolant As A DEX-COOL Replacement"

BTJustice

interpretations

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

Wrong. The expansion of the coolant is solely due to the change in temperature, as with a metal or any other material. There is no change of state involved, as the coolant is still below its boiling point at the pressure in the cooling system.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

It's called an increase in the vapor pressure in the air space as the temperature increases. However, the same thing would occur with a large increase in temperature even well below the boiling point. By your definition, even a glass of water at room temperature is "starting to boil".

Reply to
Robert Hancock

LOL. No. That is not my definition.

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

I think there has been a misunderstanding. I have replied to so many posts in this thread I am lost. There is no pressure except for that created as the coolants heats.

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

The transmission does have coolant lines either going from the radiator to the transmission and back of vice versa. Sometimes they are filled with coolant and sometimes they are filled with transmission fluid. It depends on the make and model of the car.

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

I am at least glad that a few have found this thread helpful and I help future readers will also. I can't believe that a lot of people in this thread actually believe that DEX-COOL is the greatest coolant since sliced bread and have different views of what steam is. It is amazing what a bunch of advertising will do to the human mind and confidence. Here are a few of the replies I have liked so far in this thread. Thanks for your replies guys...

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

So everyone that disagrees with your limited experience of the situation is wrong. Yeah ok. Like everyone else is by now I'm tired of this thread and all the hearsay by people with a biased approach to one or the other. That includes you bt. Instead of trying to understand the faults that cause dexcool to fail you completely ignore them or try to change the facts. I do not rely on advertising for my views like you seem to think. Mine have been through experiance and deep research. I dont want to waid through this thread anymore so I am killing it. In the future respect the independence of each ng and do not cross post anymore.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

I ran into an old post of yours while researching G-05 just a couple of minutes ago. I never could figure out why someone would want to use distilled water but for a completely different reason. In order to get a good flush, it is best to back flush a cooling system. I think you wouldn't get a good flush by simply opening the drains and pouring in distilled water until it runs out clear. The back flushing tee and a garden hose work so much better and quicker, lol.

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

"Buford T. Justice"

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

I've never seen one with coolant running through the transmission. Can you cite an example?

On 10/6/03 0:36 AM, in article blqv07$fdi4l$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-208839.news.uni-berlin.de, "Buford T. Justice"

Reply to
E. Meyer

I always heard some do and some don't. Is that not true? If I am wrong then I am wrong.

It makes since that the transmission fluid going out of the transmission to the radiator would cool it as it is getting away from the hot transmission and the engine. But then it always makes since that coolant going to the transmission would carry the heat away and keep the transmission cool.

BTJustice

blqv07$fdi4l$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-208839.news.uni-berlin.de,

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

Somebody flunked basic physics.

Read:

To apply that to this situation: The state of the coolant as it stays in a pressurized cooling system is going to be different from when you

*depressurize* the same. If you equalize the pressure, of course you're going to get steam! But in and of itself, that doesn't mean that the coolant had boiled prior to you messing around with the radiator cap.

So is mine. From '74 Chevy Suburban with the 454 engine, to the '86 and '87 Buicks, the '87 Cavalier, to the 1993 Cadillac, to the 1999 Chevy Blazer, and my 2002 Pontiac Grand Am. And some were maintained by their owners, and others taken to shops for service (for those relatives who couldn't be bothered to maintain the car themselves or have one of the more knowledgeable in our family do it). And I can tell you that of the cars that used DEX-Cool, NONE of them have had a problem with it. Of course, we've also been wise enough not to assume that just because DEX was good for the engines with it, that it was also good for the engines that came with the green stuff.

Now, I mean no offense with what I'm about to write, honestly. But has it crossed your mind that other than the DEX Cool (which has people on both camps who swear by it and against it), there's one other linking factor among all the GM cars your family has owned? Particularly, that one person was responsible for maintaining the cooling system on all of these cars, and presumably followed the same procedures and got the SAME results each and every time? Especially when other folks are religiously following certain other procedures (keeping the tank full, checking the system from time to time, etc) and have not had a problem?

And for the record, yes, I think GM made a mistake with Dex Cool. That being that they wanted a maintenance free, long life coolant that was very forgiving of boneheaded mistakes like letting the coolant level run low or letting a Jiffy Lube kid dump green fluid into a tank filled with orange fluid. Unfortunately, it requires just as much attention as silicate-based coolants, and if people don't give it that attention, then you run into trouble.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

Bullfeathers. Ethylene Glycol antifreeze has been used in engines with aluminum compoenents and in aluminum-block engines for decades. Even by GM.

Temperature is temperature. There's nothing "balanced" differently at all.

Wouldn't surprise ME at all. If I were a GM owner again (heaven forbid the day, but at the rate Daimler is wrecking Chrysler I may have no choice...) I would dump the DexCool immediately and run a G-05 based coolant at far more frequent change intervals. The ONLY reason GM went to DexCool is to try and extend service intervals for advertising purposes (Lookee! you can weld the radiator cap on and NEVER worry about it! ). If you REALLY want the car to last a long time and don't care so much about change intervals, your objective may be at cross-purposes for GMs intended use of DexCool anyway.

Reply to
Steve

Oh PLEASE! No fair. You could run a Mopar 2.2 for 20 years on horse pee for coolant and paint thinner for gasoline. :-)

Reply to
Steve

False.

A fixed pressure RAISES the boiling point, but if the engine gets hot enough it will boil coolant. Don't believe it? Just cut your water pump belt and run the engine for a while. By your theory, the coolant should never boil, right? Try it if you really believe that.... :-p

Reply to
Steve

You started out with a lot of good facts and recommendations about DexCool.

Now you're just off in left field and losing more credibility every time you post. Water EXPANDS as it warms, and that happens well before it actually boils, and that's the point that everyone you've now called names has been trying to point out.

Now, what you are probably thinking about is that in a closed cooling system at, say, 15 PSI and 210 degree thermostat temperature, there may be localized hot-spots inside the cylinder heads that see "microboiling" under heavy load conditions. The tiny vapor bubbles formed in those areas immedately re-condense into the bulk coolant so the radiator doesn't "boil over" or vent excessively, but micro-boiling does happen. Sometimes with disastrous consequences- Ford had a lot of trouble with early 5.4L v8 cylinder heads where micro-boiling would actually erode metal away (cavitation damage) until the wear perforated a combustion chamber.

Buford T. Justice wrote:

Reply to
Steve