DEX-COOL, Conventional Green, & G-05... My Experiences

http://www.behrgroup.com/upload/magazin/Audigb.pdf the cooler is mounted on top of the tranny

That is the make that "shiden_kai" says does it.
BTJustice

"Joe Poitras" wrote

It doesn't "pump" coolant through the transmission, it just has coolant pipes running back to a cooler that sits at the rear of the transmission. I know this, because my wife owned an 87 Audi 5000 and I had to do all the repair work on it.
In this case, Audi decided to run coolant back to the transmission, instead of running trans fluid up to the radiator.
Ian

Does transmission fluid really get so hot that the hot engine coolant helps keep it cool?
I'd think that there were better ways to cool a tranny!
Approximately 10/8/03 17:05, Phrederik uttered for posterity:

Yes. Particularly under heavy load, which is why transmission coolers are so often part of any heavy duty tow package.

That *could* be politically incorrect.

helps
But... you CAN overcool an engine and affect performance. Can you overcool a tranny?
Phrederik wrote:

Not really. There's no source of moisture or volitiles to contaminate auto tranny fluid as there is in an engine (combustion blow-by) so unless you make a habit of fording streams, you don't need the oil to get hot to drive away accumulated moisture.
I suppose that if you lived in a VERY cold climate and, for example, your transmission fluid never got above freezing, you might have a problem. But as long as it gets to "room temperature" I'd think it should be fine.

overcool a

Some transmissions will not lock the torque converter untill they see a certain trans fluid temp. So I'd have to say yes, it is possible to overcool a transmission. Bob

My Saturn SL2 won't shift into 4th gear until it reaches an operating temperature on cold days. So, on really cold days, the engine rpm's can get up there in the morning commute.
later,
tom
*********************************************************************     http://www.CarFleaMarket.com http://www.VirtualLotteryPool.com http://www.FreelancingProjects.com *********************************************************************

overcool
I think it is actually going into 4th gear and it's the torque converter lockup that you are not feeling. They let the converter slip to purposely build heat in the trans until it comes up to operating temp. Bob

Ensure it will handle the pressure.
ATF coolers don't run at nearly the pressure that engine oil does.

engine.
Eh? WTF are you talking about?

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id '&article_id"64&page_n umber=1
"No one, it turns out, likes maintenance less than long-haul diesel truckers. Turcotte told me about Zerex Extended Life. This red juice is designed to go full-strength into truck radiators. Do nothing for the first 300,000 miles or three years. Then throw in another whack of inhibitors, a quart of Zerex Extended Life Extender, and run another 300,000, at which point the engine is probably scheduled for a full tear-down."

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id '&article_id"64&page_n
first
What does that have to do with your claim of 300K mile rebuilds?
That was a typo. It happens. My bad.
BTJustice

A typographical error would be "rebiuld" instead of "rebuild," or similar. You simply made an incorrect claim, something not unexpected of a top-poster.
--
Mark

lol, no one is perfect. I had typed my original post several days before I posted it to check for spelling and grammar errors. I simply missed typing that part of the sentence for that. I wasn't claiming anything. That information came from the 5th paragraph of this article...
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id '&article_id"64&page_n umber=1
BTJustice

I have read about this sometime ago and here is information that may be beneficial to everyone. I guess there is pro's and con's for everything. So the pro's is DEX-COOL offer excellent heat transfer capability thus if it is done properly. Check out this reference article http://www.theherd.com/articles/dex_cool.html The con's perhaps it is does not last as long as expected. Also, there is a big class action pending with GM right now about this .... Here is the links for your reference. http://www.bigclassaction.com/class_action/dexcool.html and this one . http://www.geocities.com/b_gillie/dexcool_problems.html
Myself I would probably not convert back but replace the DEX-COOL regularly (may be every 3 years or less under extreme climate)
MN

Mitsubishi
Carlo
came
60%
and
and
green
engine
Zerex
and
mud
flushing
and
runs
conventional
conventional
complete
comes
proven
vehicles.
most
It
it.
of
Also
the
car
valves
close
water
out
it.
with
rinsed
or
I am at least glad that a few have found this thread helpful and I help future readers will also. I can't believe that a lot of people in this thread actually believe that DEX-COOL is the greatest coolant since sliced bread and have different views of what steam is. It is amazing what a bunch of advertising will do to the human mind and confidence. Here are a few of the replies I have liked so far in this thread. Thanks for your replies guys...

with
thrown
says...

So everyone that disagrees with your limited experience of the situation is wrong. Yeah ok. Like everyone else is by now I'm tired of this thread and all the hearsay by people with a biased approach to one or the other. That includes you bt. Instead of trying to understand the faults that cause dexcool to fail you completely ignore them or try to change the facts. I do not rely on advertising for my views like you seem to think. Mine have been through experiance and deep research. I dont want to waid through this thread anymore so I am killing it. In the future respect the independence of each ng and do not cross post anymore.