Driving after ABS shuts down

My brother's 2001 Park Ave started showing the ABS warning light. After consulting with On Star he continued on the trip. He took the car to an independent shop which found that the fault was with a unit at one of the wheels. The unit costs several hundred dollars. The tech told him that he can safely drive the car without ABS rather than replace the part. Apparently, the ABS shuts down due to the failed part and the car performs as it would without ABS. My brother is comfortable with that, if it's true. Is it? The car has 128k miles and will be replaced in a year or two.

TIA

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Yes the ABS system shuts off if the light is on.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yes, it should function like a car with no ABS. If he is planning to sell the car in a year or two, it may have no (or greatly diminished) value for that reason. In some states, it may not be legal to sell it knowing thee is a fault in the braking system.

What is the possibility of a used part at a reasonable price?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

ABS sensor which is integral to the wheel bearing. Yes... it is perfectly safe to drive that way. ABS will no longer function, but if the driver has the requisite skills to operate a vehicle without ABS, then all is well.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

And remember what I always say: Check with your local laws regarding motor vehicle inspections, it may not pass inspection with inoperative ABS.

For instance, the Nova Scotia Inspection Manual states:

"Anti-lock braking system (ABS) shall operate in accordance with manufacturers' specifications."

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Yes the braking system will work fine with the ABS off. I drove my 94 Bonneville that way for about 4 years

Wayne

Reply to
why, me

I would say if someone is charging several hundred dollars for one of these they are ripping you off. The last bearing and sensor I bought was less than than two hundred dollars, we install them around here for fifty dollars. So you should have less than $250 total in it.

Reply to
Doug Adams

"Doug Adams" wrote

Last time I checked, "several" can mean 2. We sell these hub and bearing assemblies and they are/can be well over 3-400 dollars depending on the model. Sure....stick in a cheap aftermarket knockoff.....we have....and usually have to replace them within a few months.

You install them for around 50 dollars? I suppose that depends on what the going rate is in your area. In our area, we charge 116 an hour. Depends on the local economy.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai