Engine Light

2000 LeSabre w/3800 and 144K. Car was running fine. Next start came with engine light and rough operation. Obviously missing power on some cylinders; but still drivable. I had a scan done which came back as a 300 series code;* Misfire on multiple cylinders*. Any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks.
Reply to
jwald

You will get that code if the dammittohell plenum decomposes and leaks coolant into the cylinder. I think this model is still susceptible.

Reply to
hls

It would be very helpful to know which cylinders.

Reply to
Paul

Sounds to me like is it time for a set of wires

Reply to
Mike

Update. I'm running on 4 cylinders. I pulled the coil wires and found the 2&5 coil dead. The other 2 coils sparked when the wires were pulled; not 2&5. I installed a new coil with no change. I switched coils positions and they worked fine. I guess I bought a coil I didn't need. It seems as thought the middle coil position is not receiving power. Can the ignition module power 2 coils and not the third? Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
jwald

2 & 5. Read my update post. Thanks.
Reply to
jwald

Yes. That exact thing happened on my 3.3 (same as the 3.8 but smaller). When you replace the ign mod, make sure you use lots of heat sink compound on the mod. Then use dielectic grease on everything else. Heat is the big ign mod and coil killer.

Reply to
Paul