2000 Maxima: Engine Codes P0303 and P1320

So I got a code reader as a christmas gift and finally needed it when my Maxima's check engine light came on. The car seemed sluggish and when idling, the engine was obviously not running right (missing?). I could feel a strange engine vibration through the brake pedal. The car was very drivable, had no trouble starting, and certainly could climb hills and such. Just a little sluggish and rough.

After two days, the engine returned to normal and the light went off.

I read the codes: P0303 (Cylinder 3 misfire) and P1320 (my reader says a powertrain code, but the list I found on the net says "IGN Signal-Primary".

I have had symptoms like this on and off for months, but they usually go away once the car is warm and even then don't happen every time it's cold. But the check engine light came on this time and stayed on, which it has never done before. It does seem to be running fine now.

I wonder if this problem is related to cheap gas. I do almost always use 92 Octane fuel, especially in the last year. I had used Arco gas for ages and found that when I switched to what I presume was better gas (sold by Costco) the car ran better for months. I recently started using a different gas (not Arco, not Costco's) and then this happened. The gas thing may be totally coincidental - I'm just guessing.

Ideas?

Thanks, Andrew

--

----> Portland, Oregon, USA

To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address*******************************************************************

Reply to
Andrew

P1320 is a primary ignition signal code P 0303 is cylinder 3 missfire

you have got a bad coil on cylinder number 3

If your thinking about getting it covered under warranty, don't hold your breath. Ignitions coils fall under Nissan's 3 year 36K mileage warranty.

Reply to
NissTech

NissTech wrote: : P1320 is a primary ignition signal code : P 0303 is cylinder 3 missfire

: you have got a bad coil on cylinder number 3

: If your thinking about getting it covered under warranty, don't hold your : breath. : Ignitions coils fall under Nissan's 3 year 36K mileage warranty.

Isn't there a TSB covering bad coils on the 2K Maxima? Or does that not make any difference if I'm out of warranty?

How easy is it to replace the coil myself? I'm semi-handy.

Andrew

--

----> Portland, Oregon, USA

To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address*******************************************************************

Reply to
Andrew

It's very easy. Replacing that coil (middle coil on firewall side of engine) will take you all of 10 minutes at most. You probably spend more time removing the harness connector. I'd practice on the O2 harness connectors at the front of the engine first. You need to depress the retaining clip with a screwdriver while gently pulling up on the connector. It's easy once you get the hang of it, but the first time may be tricky.

Reply to
Dan

Yes there is a TSB for this problem.

But as I have said before, TSB's are not a warranty extension for the particular named component,TSB's are technical information bulletins for technicians to help them diagnose a problem

the coils are easy to change

Reply to
NissTech