"ENVIRONUST"

I'm gonna have lunch in about an hour. It's an agenda.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Global warming and global cooling have been around for as long as the earth has been in existence. It goes through cycles of warm and cool.

The real question is whether we are in a situation of perpetual warming heading toward disaster or whether this is just another warming cycle that will be followed by cooling. I don't think anyone really knows the answer to that.

As you mention below, a separate issue is whether mankind has actually contributed signficantly to this current trend in warming or whether our activities are coincidental with the global warmup that we are clearly experiencing. I think the picture is again not clear. One would be very alarmed if they looked at the significant retreat of the tidal glaciers in glacier bay alaska if they ignored the timeline. Indeed they have been retreating since 1790 with much of the reduction ocurring before 1900.

Reply to
John S.

innews: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

As opposed to the church of big business and denial? The right wingers who religiously deny this are just as bad as the left wingers who religiously believe it. Neither side has the use for meaningful open minded discussions.

BTW the only major scientific organization in the world that doesn't believe that man is playing a significant role in global warming is the American Association of Petroleum Geologists. Are you affiliated with the petroleum industry by any chance?

Reply to
ToMh

OK, assuming that what you say is true, what exactly does that prove?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

innews:DWx9i.9807$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

Thank the environmentalists. It certainly wasn't because we let industry police itself.

Reply to
ToMh

Nobody in their right mind accepts corporate funded research results unless there is independent verification. Doesn't matter if the people actually doing the work are from a college. If the financial support for the work came from a corporation with a potential interest in the results, the work must be verified independently.

Does that answer your question?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

To some extent, you can thank OPEC for the first oil "crisis". It resulted in changes small and large around this country. For instance, in NY state, it wasn't until that oil crisis that the law changed, and allowed us to make a right turn on red. If you were not living in Long Island in the 1970s, you cannot possibly imagine the outrageous traffic, and how many cars sat at red lights, needlessly idling.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That the vast majority of scientists believe that man is playing a significant role in global warming.

Reply to
ToMh

Yes I know what you mean !

I doubt that 'Mother Nature' has anything to do with it in reality. Persuing some mildly cranky agenda based on a mixture of scientific half-truths and envy and a desire to impose an alternative lifestyle on the broader population seems to be more like it.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Are you sure that's not itself just more AGW propaganda ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

How does it prove that ? I believe that's yet more AGW propaganda.

The number of sceptical scientists seems to be on the increase.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I already subscribe to the view that things such as energy efficiency and 'green' power generation from wind and tides (that decrease one's CO2 footprint) make sense, simply from a practical 'common-sense' viewpoint. No argument there.

What annoys me is the *compulsion* that these zealots want to impose on us.

For example, I've always been a great fan of CFL lighting. I started using them about 15 years ago and I now use them everywhere. Since laws have been proposed to BAN incandescents - I feel very uncomfortable about where this is going. Not least because GE and Philips are working on a new technology halogen incandescent lamp that they believe will equal CFL for efficiency *and* produce a superior qulaity of light. The 'greens' would have this valuable technical advance consigned to the dustbin of history. Shades of Mao's 'Cultural Revolution' and Big Brother methinks.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

One thing everyone agrees on is that what we add to the atmosphere has an effect. It is impossible for it NOT to have an effect. Defining the effect is another story....

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Did anyone say that ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Roundabouts would fix that too.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I posted plenty of info showing the 'regular' (as regular as they get...) cycles of warming and cooling. Well, 'cooling' is a bit of a misnomer...because usually after warming, there's an Ice Age!

Reply to
Hachiroku

What do you mean, ...Still think they were faked?

Don't you remember the press conference NASA had where they said they filmed the whole thing in a Nevada desert at night?

I sure do. Course, I also remember they said to keep the information from some of the more stupid peo...ple

Er, never mind!

Reply to
Hachiroku

That's because the current belief is fueled by Politics and Political Correctness far more than it is by fact...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yeah, we get the point.

I'm doing me part. I just got a job where I have to drive 75 miles a day.

and I do it in my Supra...

Reply to
Hachiroku

That all depends on how you force conservation and prevent pollution.

Reply to
Larry Bud