Folly of Automakers

Read the last sentence of this paragraph carefully:

"Even if Bush met with the shriveling Big Three, the session probably would not amount to much more than extra CO{-2}. If Bush is still looking for weapons of mass destruction, the Big Three keep producing them. Ford and GM have bled tens of thousands of manufacturing jobs. Bush has bled 3 million of them. Bush keeps saying he will stay the course. The Big Three never veer off course. Bush says we're addicted to oil. The Big Three remain hooked on gas guzzlers."

Shouldn't it read instead: "The Big Three remain hooked on the consumer's thirst for gas guzzlers." ?

Reply to
Bassplayer12

I just got back from Europe, where I will be working soon. Gasoline there is $6.80 per gallon right now. That takes a lot of the fun out of 300 bhp.

Reply to
<HLS

If everyone drove vehicles that got 10mpg and put out 300hp, gas demand and prices would go through the roof. Plus many more pollutants would be expelled into the atmosphere. You oughtta have respect for those among us who are willing to drive smaller cars that get 35-40mpg. We help keep gas prices low and the Earth cleaner, so folks like you can afford to fill up your gas guzzler.

I'm tired of putting up with hyper-aggressive types with penile length issues/concerns who have to rape the Earth to feel like a man. There are many formerly wild areas near here that used to be safe for animals, but now the dumbasses on their ATV's are tearing it up. If you need to test your manhood, start learning mixed martial arts/Jiu- Jitsu/cagefighting like I train in.

Tread lightly, folks.

Reply to
grappletech

Europe has traditionally high gas prices which will probably prove to be deterimental to the progress of the European Union. What are they driving there ??? VW's, Volvo's ???

Reply to
Peter

Would be interesting to do a comparaison betwween the same car in North America and Europe. The difference in gas cunsumption and HP, among other things. We might be surprised.

Reply to
Bassplayer12

Just out of curiosity - what do you do that will take you to Europe? Where will you be?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Have a bad day today, did you?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:d5cd1$45009bd5$471fbb8f $ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

No..............:-)...............not yet....

Reply to
grappletech

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

"=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com:

Reply to
grappletech

Depends on where in Europe. In Italy, the most common cars are Smart, Fiat, Toyota Yaris, saw very few Chevy Aveo, Fords and I saw only one Jeep. All of the trailer trucks are much smaller, probably 40 foot trailer and cab over engine tractors. In the cities, about 40% of the vehicles are 2 wheelers. Vespa and Yamaha seem most prevalent. You never saw a big 900 to

1200 cc like we have here. Diesel is fairly common also. Parking is at a premium most places and it is common to have scooters and small motorcycles lined up for an entire block; hundreds of them. In Siena, I even saw a car parked in the vestibule of a house. The owner opened the front double doors and pulled his Fiat out to the street.

In Austria, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Citroen are more common.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I think you are a bit confused. My one vehicle a 2007 has 300 HP and easily gets 25 MPG on the highway. One of my other vehicles, a smaller 2006, has

220 HP and gets only three MPG more on the highway. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

"Mike Hunter" wrote in news:U6GcnXnv snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Wouldn't be the first time I was ever confused! Yeah, I guess technology has largely negated many of the factors that caused large engines to get bad gas mileage. A carburetted 454 with old style ignition would probably get 8 mpg city, 10 highway.

Reply to
grappletech

So true. A few yrs ago on a cruise I was in Naples, Italy where the cars were so small they were no threat to pedestrians and I'd have to be shoehorned into them. A few days later I was in Barcelona where the cars were much more usable for a 6' frame, as they are in the UK.

Reply to
Some O

Highway cruising isn't where the big difference is Mike, it's urban driving where the bigger displacement engine consumes much more fuel. Add a heavy body that has to be continually accelerated and it's even worse.

Reply to
Just Facts