Fuel Additive

Hello does anyone know if Fuel additives really do work,? specifically detergents. Is there a detergent on the market that you can add to your fuel that would act as a clensing agent. I was told by a technician once that buying the cheaper gas (which has a higher conentration of Sulpher) is not that good for your vehicle in the longrun, or is it just a cash grab for the oil companies/ Vehicle manufacturers. thanks

Reply to
Chucky D

They do something, but if your injectors are really clogged, they probably don't do that much - a cleaning involving a system that feeds cleaner directly through the fuel system works much better.

Also, gas is supposed to contain injector cleaning additives to prevent deposits from forming. I believe this is required in the US, but maybe not in Canada. For that reason, avoiding cheap no-name gas is probably a good idea, as you don't know where it comes from or what additives it contains.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

There are many good products on the market that will clean fuel system " as you drive " A slightly clogged injector, or gummy carburator will respond well to these treatments. A jammed shut injector, or filthy carburator won't flow well enough to noticably improve. I'd say cleaner is a good idea, I'd change fuel filter after burning up a tank of treated fuel, just to be extra safe. As for "cheap" gas, I doubt the EPA would allow the sale of truly bogus fuel. Some mechanics say cheap gas burns up valves. I use cheap gas, and have yet to have any problems.

Reply to
451 CTDS