GF-4 Based Oil vs. GF-3 - What is the difference?

priority this

One example would be Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (AKA "German Castrol") with a host of German carmakers approvals. It met SAE 0W-30 and API SL/CF, but not the EC standard. Its typical viscosity at

100 deg C the spec sheet was 12.1 cSt - almost at the top of the 30 range.

In the US market, Pennzoil is actually marketing two different

5W-30 oils in its "Platinum" synthetic oil range. They have the Platinum 5W-30 which meets API SM and EC, and Platinum 5W-30 Euro which doesn't meet EC.
Reply to
y_p_w

Hey ... in Cuba the "elite" can have have a DeSoto or a Volga instead of sandals!

Here's something interesting. Scroll down the left side colum to cars/bikes in Cuba. Also, look at the cars in China section!

Philip

The cars in the Chinese section all look like old American, Japanese, and European sheet metal. It makes the stuff destined for Mexico seem futuristic! With the retro look becoming popular, a disposable retro car might be a big hit!

Reply to
Ray O

Ain't that the truth!

Reply to
Philip

"Ray O" wrote in news:896a1$4281116f$44a4a10d$ snipped-for-privacy@msgid.meganewsservers.com:

We already have one of those. It's called a "PT Cruiser". 8-)

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Yup, PT Cruiser, Prowler, Mini are retro-looking but are not meant to be disposable. A really cheap car could be used for a year until the owner tires of it and recycled ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

----- Original Message ----- From: "Philip" Newsgroups: alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 11:10 AM Subject: Re: GF-4 Based Oil vs. GF-3 - What is the difference?

It seems to me that you like to cut out any supporting information or text that might contradict your declarations. It is certainly not as simple as you like to make it seem. California has different rules than the Feds and different manufacturers have different levels of achievement. The Ford V-10 has very good emisson numbers. In fact i think it can be argued that it is more enviromentally friendly than certain Toyota engines. The EPA Green Vehicle rating for many Toyota is not all that outstanding. Certain 4 cylinder and 6 Camrys are particualrly bad, although some others are very good. See

. Compare this to a midpsized US SUV, the Saturn Vue -
. Of course some small SUVs are bad, like
.
You might as well add that cars of various years have been held to different standards as well.

As for Diesels, I would suggest the Europeans are probably the leaders in small enviromentally friedly diesels.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

SNIP

The statement I was responding to (if you care to scroll back) was a comment about how Europe was the only portion of the world still building multi-multi cylindered engines for passenger cars in spite of Europe building most of it's cars with an sharper eye on fuel consumption than American manufacturers. To this I brought up a couple of V10s "We" make currently and their applications. I stand by the emission standards being more lax for truck versions than cars. That there are some exceptions does not disprove the rule.

Reply to
Philip