GM 3800 Stalls

I have a 92 Olds 88 with a 3800 engine I bought about 2 years ago. If the gas tank gets to a quarter tank or below it stalls when I make a right turn or if I park on a hill with the front of the car facing downhill. I just attributed it to the location of the fuel pickup in the gas tank.

My daughter bought a 94 Buick LeSabre, also a 3800, about 8 months ago and it showed the same traits. I attributed it to the fact that they are pretty much the same car and it had the same problem. The problem with hers is slowly getting worse. Now it can happen when the tank is just below half full. Also, when she pulls up to a stop sign it may die. I started looking for a solution on the internet and started seeing things like the MAF sensor, Crank sensor, EGR valve and many more. Any suggestions as to what this may be or a logical troubleshooting series to keep from replacing sensors and such on a "try this and see if it works" mindset?

Neither car has had a "Check Engine" light.

Thanks

Reply to
a124sparky

Stalling at a stoplight on level ground while running is almost always the EGR valve. The MAF is also most likely on its way out(they last about 10 years or so - 15 is the longest I've seen one alive for)

The timing gear should also be changed - the main cog is synthetic and not steel. Replace with steel and get a new chain(plus replace the sensor inside). That should take care of the timing for another 100K+ miles.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

I guess what I'm actually looking for is a troubleshooting procedure so I'm not just replacing components to see if that cures the problem. I'd like to actually fix the problem instead of being a parts changer until I stumble onto what it is.

Reply to
a124sparky

The 92 might be suffering from a weak fuel pump - 13 years is a long time if it original. The timing gears are steel sprockets - no nylon teeth.

Good Luck.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 91 Bonneville LE, 303,555 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

I understand, but these three items will all need to be replaced within the next year or two anyways if they are original.

In my case, the timing chain cost an extra $350 because the cam button bround a hole in the cover - clean through it, in fact. Getting it fixed before then will mean you can re-use the old cover. Also get the water pump done at the same time. These last about 60K-80K on average, or about that a belt or chain does(yes, chains stretch and "wear out")

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

When did they change this? I think it was in the early 90s, but I'm not sure.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Joe O,

My car was built in Nov 1990. I would assume at that point all the

3800's being assembled would have all steel sprockets gears.

My 1991 3800 timing gears are steel sprockets. All the 3800's my mechanic friend ( 90 & up ) has worked on had steel sprockets.

There is a nylon wedge shape tensioner that rides against the timing chain.

In Oct 04 we replaced the two gears and chain when the camshaft interuptor magnet was replaced - even though neither the chain nor the gears showed any wear.

I didn't know there was a nylon tensioner in there - it had a a slight wear mark - but still useable.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 91 Bonneville LE, 303,555 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

I am having the same problem. I hope this isn't a stupid question but so be it. What does EGR stand for? Thanks.

Frank - on the internet, where even you can be important

Reply to
Frank

Exhaust Gas Recirculation

Reply to
Hairy

Basically it helps the engine warm up and also makes the thing burn a bit cleaner. When it dies or is clogged, though, the engine runs with much higher backpressure while it's trying to utilize it(most often at a stoplight or when it's cold). So your rpms drop to 500-600 or lower(ie - stall, because the engine won't run at much less than 400-500)

I have to replace mine about every year now.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander