GM Advertising Is Insane

Well any poll that has BMW building the best overall cars is bogus in my opinion. I agree they build the best performance cars, but best overall? No way. The best overall car cannot be overpriced, unreliable, and expensive to maintain - three BMW traits.

As was the case for the overall poll results, I picked Toyota as producing the most fuel efficient cars. But I wonder is this really true?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

**** You dont watch the Formula One series, do you, CE?

It is, IMO, a shame that BMW is dropping out while losing. They spent a lot of money, and just couldnt win races. Toyota is maybe a little better off, but not much.

Honda was even more of a disaster. They are long gone.

Admittedly, F1 requires a lot of moxie and money, and a bit of luck too. Mercedes and Ferrari make the engines to beat. They hold up well, running

18000-19000 rpm for at least two races (theoretically). Renault has the technology down pretty well too.

No American company has the money, perhaps the technology, and certainly not the engines to show up to these races. You can say that this does not translate to passenger cars, but that wouldnt be quite right.

Ford might have been better off than the others in the engine department, with the Ford Cosworth engines. They sometimes ran very strongly, blew up very loudly.

Reply to
hls

It can't be, if one reads the CAFE Guide.

Several of the most popular models are bested by others, including several GM and Ford models.

Imports do better, based on the midget cars that have no comparable domestic model, however.

Reply to
Mike

I agree. I know a recent BMW 335i buyer. Great road car, lots of power to go far beyond our speed limits, good room for adults in the front seats (only). But with no spare tire and a small trunk it's only a town car; if you don't pick up your friends at the airport.

No it's not true. Toyota has fallen behind, even the Prius isn't the most fuel efficient. The VW 2.0 L new diesel gets great mileage, without the huge expense of a big battery, needed by hybrids.

Reply to
who

See what I mean? Some people just can't be pleased. What kind of return warranty did you're Toyota come with, HLS? People seem to think the 60-day money back guarantee is all based on the car falling apart in that time. What about liking the car? If you go to WalMart, buy a TV, and don't like it, you can return it. You can't usually do this with cars, so GM is trying. I think it's a great idea. And yes, I know all about the troubles you have had with your car built in the 90's. They don't even build that motor anymore, so with respect to you, I think it's time to move on from that. If the owner of a 3800 II engine does proper maintenance, and realizes the problem, they have plenty of time to repair it, and after that is done, those engines are bullet proof.

Reply to
80 Knight

It isn't. Like others have said, Toyota has fallen behind it's rivals. They only "claim" to be the Greenest car company, and unfortunately most people are too stupid to actually check the facts.

Reply to
80 Knight

I dont want any return warranty, 80, and having a 60 day one wouldnt influence me to buy any car...

A 60 day "bring it back if you dont like it" is, for me, pure bullshit.

What I want is a car that has a good warranty and that the company will stand behind.

I have never had to take either of my new cars to a dealership for repair.

Yes, I need to get past it, as you say. With those engines, you DID NOT have time to repair it. When ours failed, it went from perfectly okay to cylinders full of water while my wife was driving home from her bridge game...less than a mile. Sudden catastrophic failure, I would call it. And what I am really pissed about is that GM knew about this for almost 10 years, and did nothing.

Once repaired with good parts, the engines are, as you say, almost bullet proof.

Reply to
hls

We have two Toyotas, one 2007 Avalon and a brand new Solara. Both of these cars get good mileage, but not the greatest I have ever seen. The Avalon with a 3.6 litre engine will get about 32 mpg on the highway. The Solara with a 3.3 litre engine gets slightly less than that. Good mileage, but not great mileage.

If VW had not had such mediocre reviews on quality, I would have been strongly tempted to buy one. Maybe next time.

Reply to
hls

In other words, your Toyota didn't come with a return warranty what so ever.

Did you ever stop to think some people may just not like the car? Not everyone is worried about warranty work in the first 60 days. Some people may just not like the car, from a comfort standpoint, a look standpoint, or for whatever reason, so they can take it back. I've seen you and others say "GM should put there money where there mouth is", and if you have seen the new commercial about the 60 day money back guarantee, GM's new chairman says they are doing *exactly* that. Check it out here, if you haven't seen it:

Well, let's see. Let's compare your 2007 Solara to a 2007 Pontiac G6:

Solara: Pontiac G6 Basic: 3 Year / 36,000 Miles 3 Year / 36,000 Miles Drivetrain: 5 Year / 60,000 Miles 5 Year / 100,000 Miles It would seem that GM offered a better warranty then Toyota did when you bought your vehicle. See what I mean? Some people will think what they want to think, regardless of the facts.

Then I must ask an obvious question. If you have never required warranty work on your Toyota's, how do you know they will stand behind your two cars?

Having time to repair the engine depended on the severity of the problem. Most were able to be repaired before severe engine damage occurred.

And you know I totally agree with that. I'm still pissed at Toyota because of the engine sludge problems years ago, but should I apply that hatred to there current vehicles?

Reply to
80 Knight

IMHO, there is always going to be a race of MPG vs Power. Sure, you can get

50 MPG out of a Prius, but it sure won't win any races with it's 110 HP engine. For me, I am totally happy with my 3800 II getting 32MPG and putting out 205 HP, and my other supercharged 3800 II getting 29-30 and putting out 250 HP.
Reply to
80 Knight

Unfortunately I'm with you on VW. I'm very interested in their 2.0L new diesel, but from what I've read they still have body quality issues.

A friend has a several year old Golf that was built in South America, it has body quality problems. They are partly design problems. Perhaps their new plant in the USA will improve things.

Reply to
who

My second 3800-II had the intake sealant issue. GM apparently knew the range of VINs that were affected and sent me a recall letter. Dealer followed up with a personal fonecall and set up an appointment.

Mine was one of the engines that was "weeping," the dealer kept it overnight. Total time w/o the car was about 30 hours. 40K miles later (73,000)it's running great.

My first 3800 was recalled for a #1 bearing replacement (two days at the dealer).

All three 3.8L's I've owned have been great.... change oil, change air filters replace coolant every three years. (now it's 5 years.)

These engines have great fuel specifics, good low end torque and far lower recurring (scheduled) maintenance costs than the engines from Germany or Japan. (I notice that BMW is now tossing in the first 50K for free -- apparently those $ 600 service bills were getting into folks knickers.

Only 3.8L hurdle will be plug and belt replacement around 100K miles, which I believe requires removing an engine mount.

Reply to
pj

On the Bonneville/LaSabre with the 3800 II, there is a motor mount in the way of changing the belt, but you can pop out the spacer (without removing the mount), and change the belt that way. I didn't know that until I had changed two belts the hard way. ;)

Reply to
80 Knight

Amazing...we never got anywhere near 30 mpg with our Series II.

Reply to
hls

Are you suggesting that my warranty may be void? I do the work, usually, and keep records and receipts, as permitted by Toyota.

At this rate, it may never make any difference how they honor the warranty. There has been nothing to fix.

Reply to
hls

I have a 3800 pre series I that was built up for my Reatta, but never swapped in. I dont believe it has a belt...it is chain, IIRC>

Plugs are not a problem on most of those installations.

I understand that a recall was issued in April, 2009...too late to do me any good.

Reply to
hls

I posted suspecting you were referring to the timing "belt". The serpentine belt is as 80 Knight says.

Lur car slung a serpentine once while we were on the highway because the tensioner failed. The tensioner is a bit special on those engines...it is a tensioner built together with a waterside manifold...

Reply to
hls

80 uses different sized gallons. ;)
Reply to
cavedweller

80 uses different sized gallons. ;) **** My bad.. Should have known he was on Imperials.
Reply to
hls

Not at all. You said Toyota stands behind there warranty, I asked how you could know that if you have never had to use it.

And that is very good.

Reply to
80 Knight