gm engine question

Would any one know if a 1996 Chevrolet Lumina v6 engine is a no clearance engine. Basically I would like to know if the timing chain breaks is it possible for the pistons to drive up into the valves causing massive damage ei bent pushrods, damaged pistons, damaged valves..? Typically OHC engines are no clearance but I was told that this engine was also no clearance. Also I had a 1998 olds 98. And was also told this was a no clearance engine. On my 98 the timing chain broke and I did not want to mess with it so I took it to a mechanic he installed a timing chain kit and then told me I needed both heads rebuilt and all new pushrods and lifters..??? Now my son's Lumina chain went and I was wondering if it a no clearance engine because the guy who towed tried starting it for quite some time (not a good idea) even thou my son told him that he was not to attempt to start the car just to tow it..

Regards, Ed

Thx in advance for any responses

Reply to
Ed O'Rourke

Ed O'Rourke

Reply to
David J and Lynne J Shepherd

I understand what an interference engine is. My question--- Is a 1996 Chevrolet 3.1L SFI engine an interference engine????

Reply to
Ed O'Rourke

Yes it is. I found out the hard way after a broken timing chain Results, bent valves.

Reply to
JoJo

I think that he said "that"....if you read his post a little closer.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

What motor was in the Olds 98? 307 or 403...I have rebuilt one of each and I do not remember those being interference engines. The compression was way to low. I could be wrong, just don't remember...

Reply to
Eightupman

A 1998 Olds 98 would be a front wheel drive V6. the 307 and 403 would be a generation or two earlier.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Compression ratio doesn't matter:

Valve open length and piston at TDC deck heigth are what matter.

A rule of thumb I've found that works well: if it has a chain, Interference!

If it has a belt, when you order the parts, ask the counterperson. The computer or book will tell you!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Reply to
Ed O'Rourke

Not so on the older V-8's And piston hight and deck hight (to include volume of combustion chamber) dictate compression ratio. Hence flat top pistons vice dished will slightly increase your compression, AND bring it closer to your valve. Same with changing the head gasket thickness. So I stand my ground...compression ratio matters.

Interference!

Reply to
Eightupman

Sure if an Olds 98 was produced in 1998. He reposted saying the car was an

87, BUT I just remembered only the Cutlass's were still produced with the RWD V-8 in 87 and half of 88. I know little about the 3.8 that was in that car.

Reply to
Eightupman

Olds Delta 88 and 98 Royals or Broughams were RWD untill 1990. I even have a 1990 Olds full size sationwagon at my shop with a (blown up) Olds 307 V8.

Dont forget that from 1991 to 1996 Olds have a version of the Cparice Classic, and a wagon version too.

The last Cutlass RWD was the 1988 Cutlass Surpreame Classic. All 1988 RWD Cutlass's were Classic Models and all have the 307 V8. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Reply to
Ed O'Rourke

This vehicle is front wheel drive...

1G3CW1137H4302156

1 - Manufactured in USA G - Manufactured by General Motors

3 - Oldsmobile Division CW - 98 Regency Brougham Carline Series 1 - Two Door Coupe/Sedan Styles 11,27,37,47,57,97 Body Style 1 - Manual Belts Restraint Codes 3 - 3.8L V6 MFI engine 7 - Check Digit (See below for details) H - 1987 model year 4 - Assembled at Orion, MI or Scarborough, OH 302156 - Sequential Build Number

Check Digit verified!

Reply to
Ed O'Rourke

98 Regency vs Delta 98, or 98 Royal. My point is between erly 1980's thru the mid 90's Olds had more then one car under the same model name.

A good Example of this is the Cutlass. You had in one year a G-body, a N Body, an X body and a W body wearing that name plate. You had to get in to the sub-model names to know just reading what was what.

1988 Cutlass Surpreame is a W-body (lumina, regal, grand prix FWD) 1988 Cutlass Surpreame Classic is a G-body (Monte, Regal, Gran Prix RWD) 1988 Cutlass Calais is an N-body (Grand Am, Skylark FWD) 1988 Cutlass Cirea (spelling?) was a X-body (evolved from the Citation) (Celeberty, Century, 6000/Bonniville)

A bit confusing eh? Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

While it "might" have evolved from the X-body, the Ciera's were A-bodies.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Wish I had a classic.....Bucket seats......

Forgot about the whale wagons...

Reply to
Eightupman

BTW is that Olds wagon for sale? I have an Olds 350 that needs a home

Reply to
Eightupman

Thanks for the correction. I used to own a few real A bodies. 64-72 Midsize (Chevelle-ElCamino, Tempist/Lemans/GTO, Cutlass/F82, Skylark). When I say A body thats what Im refering to. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig