Type 1 Hydraulic lifter setup

I just got one of the new type 1 motors from VW, and they have hydraulic valve lifters. Does anyone have any advice on setting these up, other than just to play with them until they stop ticking? I set one up for a friend, and it took me forever to get them to pump up for the first time. Now I have one, and I'm wondering if there's a specific procedure? Obviously the old VW manuals don't mention hydraulic lifters. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
<dgregor

Maybe a VW type 4 manual describes the procedure?

snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

Reply to
Ben Boyle

If you are concerned about lifters not pumping up, set all of your valves to .004. It will be a clattery nightmare. Run the engine warm for a couple of days. You are guaranteed two things here. One is that no valve is going to be stuck open accidentally. The other is you will have your lifter pistons getting a work-out and bleeding any remaining air out. Day three, run engine until warm, but not hot. Yank valve covers and adjust valves to 1/2 turn past 0 lash. Look carefully! You want to see the valve go down during this 1/2 turn, it is subtle but look. If, instead, the pushrod goes down, reset that valve to .004 and make a note of which valve it is, you'll be doing this again in a couple of days for whichever valves had pushrods go down. Hopefully, all lifters were rock hard and you got your 1/2 turn. Valve covers on, and on your quiet way. Colin

Reply to
Colin

That is the craziest thing I ever read.

Reply to
jjs

Agree. The only thing that method guarantees is a trashed engine.

With the lifter on the heel of the cam lobe, set lash to zero then add 1/2 a turn to pre-load the lifter. Wear in the valve train or lifter may require additional pre-loading but should not exceed 1-1/2 turn total.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

Damn, I better get my source out here.

it and weep. It works. . . . Colin

Reply to
Colin

( Colin : ) )

Reply to
Colin

So does killing flys with a sledgehammer.

Juicers have been used on small-displacement air-cooled engines since the late

1930's. Any mechanic who still finds himself 'confused' by them should probably seek another line of work.

-Bob Hoover

PS - Lycoming & Continental hydraulic cam followers also lay on their sides.

Reply to
Veeduber