GM vehicle water pump life poll

How long are folks seeing their water pumps last on GM vehicles?

If you've replaced your water pump, please state year, model, engine size, and mileage when the water pump is replaced. This will give people some idea of when to preventatively replace the water pump, since when it fails, the vehicle often shouldn't be driven at all (to prevent engine damage).

I'll start with mine:

1993 Pontiac Trans Sport 3.8L replaced pump at 55000 miles
Reply to
GM Customer

i got over 98 thousand before i had to replace my water pump on my 1989 c1500...

Reply to
Bthandel
1990 Oldsmobile Silhouette 3.1L Engine leaking and replaced at 76, 432 miles

1992 Chevy Lumina 3.1L Engine leaking and replaced at 138, 000 miles.

Reply to
Peter

Reply to
Roy G. Bragg
1998 K1500 GMC Suburban 61500 miles
Reply to
J Oat
90 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3.1L Water pump seized and replaced at 220k miles.
Reply to
clevere

2003 Cadillac CTS - going strong at 2600 miles

:)

Reply to
Dan J.S.
2000 Chevrolet Malibu 3.1L 31,000 miles (the pump began to leak)

"GM Customer" escribió en el mensaje news:JJ1Ua.64$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny01.gnilink.net...

Reply to
Elias Rocha
1999 GMC Jimmy 56K miles and the original pump is still going strong.

GMdude

Reply to
GMdude
92 astro 143k miles original pump. regular coolant changes.
Reply to
Baboo
1993 ASTRO 4.3W replaced at 10yrs / 141,000 Miles. Seal leak.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Morda
99 Venture 3.4L replaced water pump at 85,000 miles
Reply to
Mike

Mine leaked at 87,000. I replaced it to find that the one on there had been replaced once already. This is a real pain on a 1993 3.8 Buick Lesabre since in their infinite wisdom, GM engineers make it necessary to raise the engine and remove the right motor mount which is difficult and also, the only place to jack up the engine is the harmonic balancer or the oil pan. Work on a GM vehicle and you soon learn they are NOT built for ease of repair, but more for junk yard fodder. Jap vehicles with their timing belt driven water pumps are bad enough, but GM keeps up by turning a 25 minute task into an all day job; and the Jap pumps seem to last lots longer that GM pumps. Automotive engineers must rotate from company to company since that's about the only way I can conceive of that inept engineering can be so widespread.

Reply to
Oliver B. Lafferty
1993 Oldsmobile Delta 88 LSS with 3.8L

Pump completely self-destructed in a five minute period with no warning at

50,300 miles at 5 years 3 months of age

Just out of warranty...

Reply to
doug

So far I don't see a pattern. Some seem to fail fairly early and some last well into the 100K+ mile range. Based on these responses it seems to me that it would not be helpful to just replace a water pump that is working fine. You may replace one that would have given you 150K miles of service with one that will only give you 40K miles...doesn't make much sense then.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Bought car February 4, 1991

Original Water Pump replaced @ 123,312 miles July 21, 1997 - 7 years 4 months old.

The water pump now has 137,172 miles and is 6 years 5 days old.

Prestone mixture good for - 60 below.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~260,000 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

My 1993 Oldsmobile Delta 88 LSS with 3.8L water pump was replaced at 240K Km, April 2003 (1 week before it was totalled)

Reply to
Alan Illeman
1998 c1500, 4.3l v6, waterpump started leaking at 131,000 miles - replaced.
Reply to
KillerG

1987 Olds 98 (3.8L V-6) front seal failed and water pump replaced at 95,000 miles in 12/96. Replacement pump still A-OK at 145K.

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

Reply to
William H. Bowen
1990 Chevrolet Celebrity with a 3.1 V6

Replaced water pump 2 years ago at about 125,000 miles. May have been previously replaced.

Reply to
JoltFire