Good news for full sized car fans (if true)

Spotted in the front section of this month's Hemmings Muscle Machines - apparently the next-gen Impala will be built off of a RWD, Holden Commodore-based platform rather than the current Lumina-based platform. IMHO this is good news as although I haven't driven one, the Holden cars are reputed to be a far more serious effort at a decent automobile than the current Impala. Also, maybe GM is getting sick of having handed the police car marked to Ford on a silver platter, and is worried that that business will go away completely now that MoPar is getting back in the game? (the last is my own speculation, not from the news short)

Anyway, I'll be very, very happy if the next Impala actually has decent driving dynamics, and I'd be freakin' ecstatic if it came through with a straight six instead of a V-6 and a manual transmission option.

nate

Reply to
N8N

The local dealer has a new Impala SS on the floor. While reading the window sticker, I was surprised to see that it had the 5.3 engine in it. That thing ought to scoot right on down the road.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

That's if you can steer with it being FWD 320+ ft/lbs of torque. Useless if you ask most people.

Reply to
Victor

Reply to
ROY BRAGG

Interesting comment. We used to think that torque steer was more or less inevitable, until we learned what caused it. Has new steering geometry been introduced on this model?

Reply to
<HLS

Reply to
ROY BRAGG