Got the New Intake Manifold Gasket Installed on '02 Olds Today

For anyone running the 3.1/3.4 L GM engines I highly recommend getting an oil analysis done of your used motor oil from time to time. I started doing so about nine months ago, and the most recent analysis came back with clear signs of coolant getting into the oil.

Luckily our '02 Olds Silhouette had the included GM extended warranty which covers to 5 years, 60,000 miles. Our van was at 2.5 years of age and 41,000 miles.

The oil analysis caught coolant traces well before there was any visible sign of water mixed with the oil. This is good as very little bearing damage had a chance to happen.

The dealership was excellent about checking out the problem and fixing it at no charge.

If you have one of these vehicles I strongly recommend periodic oil analysis to find the problem early before major engine damage happens.

I get mine done by Blackstone Labs,

. Cost is $20 and they will mail you sample containers free of charge.

Other than my customer relationship I have no ties to Blackstone or any other oil analysis place.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Many thanks for posting this. It was perfect timing for me as I was just about to post a request for someone to name this place again as I'd forgotten it.

I've since bookmarked their site, and I've already put in a request for a test kit.

I'm anxious to see what condition my 1996 3.1L V-6 is in.

Thanks again!

Rick

Reply to
Rutger6559

"John Horner" wrote

This is an excellent idea!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

So, looks like you saved your dealership a whole sheetpile of money they would have otherwise paid out on the extended warranty you bought by getting the vehicle in early.

I don't suppose that out of all that money you saved them, that they offered to pay the cost of a few of your oil analysises?

Nahhhhhhh!!! ;-)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Maybe, or maybe the engine would have made it past the 60,000 mile mark at which time all of the cost would have been mine.

No, nor did I ask.

John

Reply to
John Horner