Check engine light in 98 Venture -

Hi - my venture has 105,000 miles on it - yesterday the check engine light came on - I checked the gas cap and tightened it - the van had about a quarter tank of gas in it when the light came on - I stopped and filled the tank up and the light went off - It was fairly warm outside and I know one should keep the tank from getting too low in hot weather because the gas keeps the fuel pump cool-

Anyway does it sound like anything to be worried about? - I am a bit paranoid because I had a fuel pump in my 90 Caravan quit of course at the worst possible time ( far from home in a small town)

I know one needs a code reader or to get a repair shop to read the codes - do any of the codes link into the fuel pump

The van runs fine - good smooth acceleration - with no missing or cutout or anything like that

Thanks for any help

Reply to
donsjunkk

Shep

go to autozone if the code stored is a evap leak code i don't think it is have the code checked and reply

Reply to
ob1

Could be anything. The #1 worry on these vehicles is an intake manifold gasket failure. It can easily allow coolant into the oil. Just to be sure, do a used oil analysis to check for coolant contamination. Well worth the $20 cost.

One of the many labs which can do this for you is Blackstone Labs, who I use.

They will send you a free sample container.

Anyone with the 3.1/3.4 family of GM engines would be well advised to spend the $20 once per year to check for this all-too-common leak.

That said, you need to put a code reader on the vehicle to find out what is going on.

John

Reply to
John Horner