Help! my drives caliper will not compress!

open the bleeder screw just enough to see wetness start to form in the hole, then compress, the barely opened bleeder will allow the fluid to squirt out when compressing the caliper but isn't open enough to let too much run out and trap air in the system. You can put a small hose on the end to catch the squirting fluid also. This works well with ABS equipped vehicles to prevent the fluid from pushing back up into the ABS system.

Reply to
Eugene

I have done the passenger side and now I have moved onto the drivers side. I can not compress the caliper to install new pads. What do I need to do? Please help! Thanks.

Reply to
Aaron in Tulsa

Dunno how the pro's do it; but us old guys who like to do for ourselves just use a big "C" clamp...

Take the lid off the reservoir, and slowly SLOWLY use the C clamp to push the piston back just far enough to let you re-assemble.

After you're done, pump the pedal a few times before you drive off.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Use the old brake pad over the piston when using the clamp, otherwise your gonna bust up the piston.. then you'll be pissed.

Reply to
clevere

Both sides should compress with nearly equal ease. You may have an internal corrosion problem with this one. H

Reply to
Hairy

Depending on what type of caliper pistons you have, some you can press back in and some have to be turned in with a special tool that will not damage them.

Reply to
twins0203

Another common cause on an older vehicle is the rubber flex hose between the frame and the caliper deteriorates internally and wont let the fluid back off when the pedal is released. It sort of acts like a check valve. Hints of this problem is the wheel won't turn by hand when jacked up, abnormal pad wear only on this side, or the steering wheel pulls to that side for a short while after braking. The cure is simple - replace BOTH flex lines as the other one probably isn't going to last much longer either. Deteriorated flex lines act almost the same as a sticking caliper piston.

Both sides should compress with nearly equal ease. You may have an internal corrosion problem with this one. H

Reply to
Rufus T. Firefly

Deteriorated

I agree. I had that happen on one of my older cars a couple of years ago. If it's the hose, he should be able to compress the piston if he opens the bleeder. H news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Hairy