Help Needed!

I am reposting my original message because no one has suggested an answer or even commented.

HELP NEEDED!

How difficult is it to program a 4 button Remote Control for my Buick 2004 Century Custom?

I have one for my wife but would like to have one for myself.

I can buy one for $40 on the Internet, but it must be programmed. They supply instructions on "how to program".

Local Buick dealer wants over $100 for Remote unit (maybe $180), plus $40 more to program.

Anyone reading this that has actually programmed a 4 button Remote Control? oe even thought about it?

Buttons are "Lock", "Unlock", "Unlock trunk", and "Beeper to Locate car in big parking lot".

Reply to
Panos Popadopalous

The instruction can be found in your owners manual.

mike hunt

Panos P>

Reply to
BigJohnson

I don't think GM has ever included instructions for programming the remotes in the owner's manual.

For '96 to '99 Centrury it's like this:

Hold unlock on the drivers door, insert and remove the ignition key twice and insert it a third time and leave it in. If this is going to work you will hear three chimes after letting go of the unlock button. If you hear the three chimes you are now in "program" mode. Finaly, hold lock and unlock simultaneously on the remote untill you hear one chime, that remote should now be programed. Repeat the last step for each additional remote. Remove the ignition key to exit program mode.

For year 2000+ Century, you apparently need a scan tool.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

No you don't

mike

Steve Mackie wrote:

Reply to
BigJohnson

Well, if you are so well versed on the programming of General Motors keyless entry transmitters, why don't you enlighten us all on how this person can program the remote for his vehicle.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

The procedure varies. One needs the owners manual to know precisely and I don't have one in front of me for that year at this time. It involves setting the door locks in a particular manner then simply pressing one of the buttons on the new remote.

I.E. Lock the doors, press the lock button on the remote until the locks unlock, then press any button on the new remote. Some required turning the key on and off, till the looks unlock etc.

mike hunt

Steve Mackie wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

I am going to call BS until I see it with my own eyes. Never have I ever seen a GM owners manual outline how to program additional transmitters. Also, the factory service manual for the 2004 Century states that programming of additional transmitters must be done with a scan tool.

GM vehicles built before 2001 model year (usually) DO NOT (usually) require the use of a scan tool, but GM vehicles that are 2001 model year or later (usually) REQUIRE the use of a scan tool. Pick a GM produced vehicle 2000 model year or older, and I'll tell you how to program the remote, but 2001 model and later, I'll tell you to find a scan tool.

Not to sound like I am repeating myself, but the instructions on how to program additional recievers is NOT in the owners manual of GM vehicles.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

  1. Buy the remotes from GM because if they are like Chrysler, the programming is included in the price of the remotes. IOW they will program them for you. If not, kindly ask the service manager if he could program them for you. Chances are they will.
  2. Go to the salesperson who sold you the car and plead for mercy. You will ALWAYS get better results from sales than from service.
Reply to
Schlomo Smykowski

You are half right. If one does not have a least one remote, they need to go to a dealership. One needs at least one remote to program another themselves. Same is true of coded keys, except one needs TWO keys to program another key themselves. If you only have one key you need to go to a dealership. If it were me I would call a dealership, give them the VIN and build date and ask them the procedure for that vehicle.

mike hunt

Schlomo Smykowski wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

I give up. You obviously know nothing about GM vehicles.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Reply to
Shep

Good question. I am doing it tomorrow. ;)

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Of course not, we only service them by the thousands every month, in our fleet service business. LOL

mike hunt

Steve Mackie wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

LOL, then you should know that programming the remotes is not outlined in the owners manual. The whole thing about needing one remote to program the other is incorrect as well.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I am still waiting for the dealer to provide me with an owner's manual, which he says he has on order.

I have been waiting over 14 days for it.

Reply to
Panos Popadopalous

Thanks Steve.

Reply to
Panos Popadopalous

Schlomo, all I've ever got from the Buick dealer or its salesman is price is about $100 "or was it $180?"

PLUS $40 MORE for Programm>

Reply to
Panos Popadopalous

so Mike Hunt, what is the answer to my original question?

which was "if I can buy the 4 button remote control Online for a Buick Century Custom 2004, and get the Remote AND Programming Instructions for a TOTAL of $40", how hard is it to program ?"

Reply to
Panos Popadopalous

Yes, actually you do need a scan tool for the 2004 Century. And you cannot find the information about this in the owners manual.

Here is a direct quote from the service manual....just so that you will be aware of the correct procedure once and for all.

Document ID# 682874 2004 Buick Century

Transmitter Programming Important: All transmitters which are to be recognized by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode it will erase all previously programmed transmitters upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter. Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.

1.. Install a scan tool. 2.. Use the scan tool in order to access the Body Control Module (BCM) Special Function or Module Setup: Program Key Fobs. 3.. Press the START soft key on the scan tool. Important: The scan tool must stay connected until all of the transmitters are programmed.

4.. Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of 5-10 seconds, the scan tool will indicate that the transmitter is programmed. 5.. Repeat the previous step in order to program up to 4 transmitters. 6.. Remove the scan tool. 7.. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
Steve Mackie